G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY UNDERLAYMENT ON MY OUTDOOR LAYOUT IS HAVING PROBLEMS (CUPPING TWISTING ETC.)AFTER ONE YEAR. I HEARD THAT DIEBOLD SHEETING IS THE WAY TO GO. IT IS USED FOR OUTDOOR SIGNS ETC. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF IT OR USED IT? LET ME KNOW.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Any photos of what you have already?? Diebond has been used on elevater tracks with a frame as it is pretty thin. I have used both the PVC Pipe methon that Kevin Strong wrote an article for in Garden Railways and the Ladder Roadbed that was described on here somewhere.

Pros/Cons of both

PVC Pipe 1/2" - Easy, cheap, flexable - does not offer any support from track rocking side to side just lengthwise. Must keep well ballasted to support the track.

Ladder Roadbed cut from 1"x6" composite boards - Very good support side to side and lengthwise, easy to adjust height, can get expensive for long tracks, lots of cutting and building. Be sure not to change the type of wood as a friend used PVC material and the support shrinks in the winter much more then the ties and rail. Resulted in many kinks and bowes in the track.

Here is a list of the various types out there

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/pimanjc/HAGRS Folder/HAGRS2008 Folder/roadbedstyles.htm

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Dibond Aluminium Composite Panels

Aluminum face and back, thermoplastic core: http://www.tri-dee.com/Dibond Aluminium Composite Panels.htm

"This is a lightweight but rigid and durable aluminum composite material (ACM) â€"â€" two strong sheets of .012" aluminum bonded to a thermoplastic core. Yet, it fabricates easily. Dibond Material is pre painted with a polyester finish that is available in 2mm, 3mm and 4mm thickness and in 4'x8', 4'x10' and 5'x10' sheet sizes. Choose from colors of white, black,Red, Yellow, Blue, Brushed Silver, Brushed Gold, silver and bronze. Dibond Material is a UL® (Underwriters Laboratories Inc.) recognized component for electrical signage (UL94V-O). This weather-resistant material is ideal for a wide range of signage and exhibit/display applications including these."

Ron Brown resufaced his elevated layout with Dibond not too long ago and featued an article describing it in SitG.

Google: Dibond

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Try www.mssls.info. Our new club portable layout is shown in some of the Huckleberry Railroad weekend photos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts