G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I've ridden to work twice, both times were scary. I have to take surface steets to work but theres really is no direct non-freeway route to downtown LA from my neck of the woods, I have to ride thru a dicey industrial/run down part of town to get to LA. The other thing here is that people are so disconnected from reality in their steel Lemmingboxes that they simply do not see or even perceive other non-auto vehicles, some dont even see the other cars and pedestrians are points to be scored. So bicycle riding on the road here is an extreme sport, even just riding to the store and back can be an E-ticket ride. Motorcylcles are a bit more noticed, but not by much, and mostly because they can travel at speed with the flow of traffic, unlike a bike. The biggest troubles here start when self rightious bicyclists insist on riding IN the traffic lanes and are often pedalling 20mph LESS that the flow of traffic and these guys get clobbered and then wonder why? I thought about a motorcyle or a scooter, which have some power and speed to deal with knucklehead drivers but so far I havent commited. I could also take the light rail in, but it takes 45min-1hr commute (same as bike) vs the 20 min commute by car, with a scooter I could manage 30min commute. If I could buy a Royal Enfield here in California (emission issues prevent sales), I think it would be a done deal.

Basicaly its more a big motor-scooter more than a motorcyle /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
"...a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations: ..."

Correct, but tell that to some of the riders out here, you'll get a indignatious reply that they have the right to ride as fast as they want in any lane they want, and like I say, then they wonder why they end up hood ornaments. I've been riding most of my life, but I know better than to ride IN traffic if I cant keep up Lance Armstrong speeds, so I stick to the sides, even then its dangerous as heck out here. And some drivers dont even obey traffic lights anymore, let alone any codes.

A guy recently was arrested here for road rage after mowing down two cyclist who wouldnt get out of his way, the guy was a physician to boot!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.