G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
150 Posts
Mostly I've just noticed gas prices going UP. Two days ago it was $3.47 at Wal-Mart. Yesterday it was $3.61. Sort of makes you want to fill up even if your not empty before it goes up again. Lets see, $3.61 x 5 = $18.05 to fill the gas can for my lawn mower. Gee, it wasn't all that long ago that would fill my car.

How about coffee? Folgers was a lttle over $3 for the 39 oz. container before Katrina. Then it went to just over $5 because the port was closed and it had to be rerouted. Now the port is open and it is $7.49. What's that about???? Maybe greed?

· Registered
150 Posts
Hey Kevin, I like the idea of buying oil stock. However, I'm retired and don't have the extra money to mess around in the stock market, and I'm sure the same applies to most of us.

I'm interested in the environment, like most are, but I also believe in common sense too. I think we ought to drill for oil where necessary, including in ANWAR and the gulf, etc. Of course that would include being careful. Remember all the crying about how the Alaska pipeline would harm the animals and environment? Did that happen? NO! I find that along the same lines as the gun control people screaming about blood running in the streets and Dodge City shootouts if people are allowed to carry. What has happened in every case? Lower crime rates. But God forbid anyone mention that! (The FBI records prove this out in every case.) If the oil companies had been allowed to drill several years ago when they found sources, we wouldn't be in the fix we are in now.

Now for the REAL problem. Overpopulation of the planet. As well as India and China's huge growth in the marketplace. If you are to believe the "experts" the population is 6 1/2 billion at present and within 30-50 years it will be 9 billion. Without some sort of control, there will be famine all over. You and I know there will never be any control, especially in this country where individual rights has become more important than the whole. In my opinion, liberalism and political correctness is ruining this country. And lack of common sense.

Off the soap box, and tucked away.

· Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for the information Dug and Mark! I'm always interested in adding to my knowledge, and never too old to learn.

The problem with how long it would take us to have any gains in drilling in several places including ANWAR, is a good point, BUT the same excuse was used back in the early 90's. Sooo...what if we had gone ahead and drilled then? And so it goes...

California is in a world of it's own, wanting none of the polution etc., but still wants what is gained from having it in someone elses back yard. I can't feel sorry for anyone who uses that type of reasoning, or keeps voting for those that continue to further that philosophy at the cost of everyone else, and still wanting cheaper power.

And now our Senators and House members, in all their wisdom, have passed a huge bill to aid the farmers who are having record profits. Yes, special interest groups are doing well...at our expense.

Anyway, this is an interesting subject and I'm learning a lot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.