G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
807 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 05/13/2008 9:00 AM
What milage does your car get?
If it gets less than 25mpg, your part of the problem.
If it gets less than 15mpg, you ARE the problem.
There are several cars out there that get over 30mpg, a few that get 40mpg, even some SUVs and trucks that get 25+mpg. Motorcycle sales are going way up, as are Vespa scooters. and according to the paper this weekend here in LA, traffic is down in many areas as more people take the commuter trains to work. There are alternatives out there.

AMEN! Our cars get 32 & 40 mpg, cost $12K & &15K, and we don't let ourselves gripe about the cost of fuel. When I hear people at work (usually the ones driving the trucks & SUVs) complain, I remind them that they are the ones who bought the huge truck as a commuter vehicle.

I'm sorry, but trucks and vans just don't make sense in most cases. Our Scion xA can easily haul 4 or 5 adults, and with a single axle trailer or roof rack can handle all the camping gear needed for a trip of several weeks. All while getting around 40 mpg. You want a truck/SUV/van? Fine, I won't stop you, but I don't want to hear complaints about the cost of gasoline.

The way I see it, fuel prices are up, are going up, and will stay up. The result will eventually be a shift to smaller cars, and hopefully greater dependance on mass transit. If we as a country are really dumb, we won't have learned anything from the '70s, in which case we all buy fuel efficient cars, gas prices go down, and we all buy gas guzzlers again. 30-40 years from now, our kids will have to go through the same thing over again. Let's hope we're collectively smarter than that.

I, for one, intend to ignore the cost as far as practical, and just go on building model trains. I just hope the rising oil prices don't send Plastruct and Evergreen prices through the roof. Then I will be mad!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.