G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
"Maybe you guys that lived through the 60s can teach us young guys how to beat the Man. Oh wait, I forgot, most of you are the Man!! "

Actually we need to be thinking farther back to our history books for us Mark. Back to the late 20's and the early thirties during the Great Depression. Im afraid things will likely get that bad!

Chas

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 05/13/2008 9:00 AM
What milage does your car get?
If it gets less than 25mpg, your part of the problem.

Both vehicles do. Minivan and Full size van. Minivan averages right now about 20 to 23 MPG. It used to get more but it's getting older now.

If it gets less than 15mpg, you ARE the problem.

One does. So Yes I'm part of the problem as you define it. Still I only put about 40 gallons of gas in it a month.

There are several cars out there that get over 30mpg, a few that get 40mpg, even some SUVs and trucks that get 25+mpg. Motorcycle sales are going way up, as are Vespa scooters. and according to the paper this weekend here in LA, traffic is down in many areas as more people take the commuter trains to work. There are alternatives out there.

Not for what I paid or can afford. Brand new Full size vans or SUV's are in the range of $30,000 to as much as $60,000, I got my big van for hauling the whole family and our camping gear in a utility trailer. I paid $3000 for it a year ago and it will be paid off this fall if all goes well. I drive it to and from work and when we need to drive other wise we take the minivan. On a regualr basis I only put gas in the big van twice a month. Where as my wife drives the minivan and puts gas in it at least once a week. She drives to work much farther than I do though. There is NO public transportation available for either of us and I'm not quite close enough to ride my bicycle. Two years ago when prices spiked because of Katrina I rode my bicycle a LOT. Even had a trailer to pick up the girls from teh sitters in. They no longer fit in the bike trailer and I've got double the distance (& elevation) to ride to get home with or without them even if they did fit in the bike trailer.

Face it, its OUR addiction as a nation to big gas guzzling vehicles thats a huge chunk of the problem, experts have been saying for decades that Americans need to change their driving habits, but everyone has been more than willing to follow the Pied Piper of Detroit right over the cheap fuel dependant cliff. I grew up and remember the Gas Crisis vividly, waiting in lines for gas, the ration cards, I really dont think my fellow Americans will "get it" until they have to go through something that cathartic again.
$5 this summer, ready for it?

Yup I've dratically changed my driving habits as my life has changed. When I was single and Gas was cheap road trips were awesome! Then I got married and trips to visit family were budgetted in and roadtrips were out. Divorced and remarried and had kids and roadtrips are totally out. Vacations are scheduled and budgetted to within pennies and un-neccesary trips are generally cancelled. Camping is even limited to once a summer anymore. As my life changes my driving habits and vehicles have changed. Just fact, not really anything to do with the economy. I'm already budgetting $4 to $5 a gallon for gas.

Chas

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Kenneth,
What even midsize vehicel will carry 4 or 5 (preferably 6) AND tow a vehicle at 32 to 40 MPG? AND will convince me to spend 30K on it?

currently I'll keep my big old Van and NOT complain about the gas I put in it at any cost. I'm offended when someone tells me that "I am the problem" though. Sorry Vic. No easy solution here in the hills of W NY. 4 & 6 bangers don't haul up and down our hills.

Chas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.