G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Yep, It happens all the time, and just about everywhere else as well.Mark it up a whole bunch, then advertise it "on sale" and people happily gobble it up for more than the old price.

In fact, I sort of noticed something similar with um, brass track on here as well, lol.

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 05/13/2008 9:00 AM

If it gets less than 15mpg, you ARE the problem.
..... There are alternatives out there.

$5 this summer, ready for it?

First, I need a VAN or TRUCK to haul my biz stuff to shows. I've been trying to use Kim's car as much as possible at other times, but it doesn't get very good mileage either.
Second, the public transportation system here does NOT go where I need to go (like work) WHEN I need to go there. It is also MORE expensive (even with a pass) than putting gas in the van.
Third, as I said before, there is simply NO MONEY available to replace either vehicle. Living just a smidge above the poverty level sure ain't fun.

It's REAL easy for rich city folks to point fingers.... They have more choices, and banks will loan them money.

IMO the "problem" is a society that does NOT pay enough for "essential" workers (teachers, farmers, nurses, truck drivers, and yes even garbage collectors) to live on and conversely hugely rewards people who shuffle money, play kid's games, or etc. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Posted By terry_n_85318 on 05/13/2008 4:14 PM
One thing to consider -- In the 70's the cost of gas was 0.50 / gal and the hourly wage was $5 and hour. Wages have gone up faster than the cost of gas and the ratio is lower now.

Um, hello. I make $7.15 an hour. A GOOD paying job in this area is $10-15/hr and gas is $3.759 this morning...just HOW is that a lower ratio? New Math?

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Terry, it IS about what is BEST for my family. My parents live here, my grandmothers live here, my children live here with their mother. The roots run deep, and I care about more than just "me". Yes, I made that choice. Am I wrong? If I am (IMO) society is sick.

Then there is the fact that I am on disability. So I am quite limited in the amount I can make BY LAW. Think of it as a fixed pension with even less money. It would take a REALLY good job with excellent bennies to pay for the meds and other stuff I need everyday.

Add to that the fact that places with better job markets also have MUCH higher costs of living. My little brother moved to South Carolina for better work 20 some odd years ago. Except he continues to find that "right to work" mostly means some weasel has the right to come in and underbid him on his job right after he EARNS a raise and then he has to start over again. So what real choice is there in that?

Like I said, easy for rich city fellas to point fingers.

· Registered
2,814 Posts
Industrial hemp is an interesting idea...as long as 1. You keep the idiots who can't tell it from pot from stealing it to smoke and/or 2. The organized crime people don't get involved and use the fields to HIDE pot in plain sight.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.