G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Here in Michigan we have a furniture chain that continuously advertises everything at "HALF-OFF" because they "bought too many, bought another closed out furniture store, got a great deal on brazilian coco plants" you name it, they got a reason to make it half off.

A couple of years ago, I went into one of their stores when there wasn't a sale going on and all of the furniture was the same price as when it was on sale, the difference being that the marked up "real price" tag wasn't on the furniture.

Mark

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Depending on your point of view and who you listen to, you can either blame the gas guzzling crowd and their mega trucks or PETA and the Sierra Club and their environmental activism.

My take. Why haven't we built any new refineries since 1976? Why must we have so many different formulas for gasoline each summer? Why aren't we building nuclear power plants? After all, it's the cleanest burning form of fuel.

We complain about jobs being outsourced to places like China but we still buy Chinese goods. The Chinese are experiencing unprecented growth in their economy as are the Indians. Their combined populationa are eight times that of the U.S. They are gulping not only petroleum but ALL commodities at an excessively high rate, but their economy requires it as an outgrowth of it's expansion.

This situation is highly complex and personally, I believe, it's a little naive to blame someone because of their personal choice in transportation.

If you really want to hedge yourself against rising oil prices, buy oil stocks.

mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.