G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Backstory) About a month ago my 15YO daughter found this abandoned and nearly dead 3-4 week old kitten. She insisted upon bringing it inside and nursing it and all that. Amazingly the cat lived.
....until today. Early this morning Mairi went to her mom's car to get her purse. With said kitten following along behind. She shut the car door, and noticed no cat. Turned around and the thing was caught in the door. It lived about another minute and died in her arms. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif
Hysterical girl calls daddy to come bury it...K, that's what dads are for. Meanwhile she also calls her boyfriend, who instead of consoling her starts berating her for killing "his" cat.... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif
Now daughter is upset with dad for calling the boyfriend an immature insensitive jerk (and a few other things). IMO the sumbych needs his behind kicked, and THEN told to p%## off, but it seems it isn't my call. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Bummer all the way around. Mairi will--eventually--realize that dad was right, though probably as a result of something completely unrelated. If she's anything like my sister, she'll also find another kitten in dire need of rescue in very short order. They tend to find a way to gravitate towards those with big hearts. Lord knows that was the case in my house growing up. Still is, for that matter. I can't remember all the insensitive jerks I've encountered, but I do remember each furry critter.

I give you credit for not burying the boyfriend as well. ;) I'm not certain I would have been able to demonstrate such restraint.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Bury it in a corner and put a little marker. Seem suitably sad. Name a junction on the railroad for it.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Oh that sucks, I understand the compulsion to care for abandoned animals, our dog was a rescue, and we've rescued, raised and found homes for 2 seperate batches of kittens and a couple of stray ones, but we've reached the end of our rope doing so, we had another abandoned kitten under our house a month ago, too weak to save but what she left was a flea problem we've been dealing with ever since. Professionals bombed the crawlspace and yards last weekend, so we'll see what that does. The mommy cat and the other kittens became coyote chow a couple weeks ago, leaving now best we can determine only all male feral cats in our neighborhood that constantly fight. I've chichen wired around the entire house to prevent re-entry and we are seriously considering trapping the worst of the ferals and impounding them, its gotten that bad.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
My littlest sister was always rescuing abandoned kittens. We actually got to where we could raise them with the right formula, keep them pottying and keep their little paws and eyes from getting infected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mik,

Personaly the boyfriend would have gotten a good ass kick'n. But I applaud you Mik for holding back. Hey did I hear right ... there was a shooting on IUP campus yesterday? Saw that on the news here in St. Louis but nothing else.

Things do get better,

Todd Siddle
IUP grad of 97'

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Rather than kick his ass (a wholly justified visceral reaction), simply take the young man aside and explain to him the intricasies of the female mind and how she was looking for consolation from him. Young males don't get to be grown men without help from grown men. If he still doesn't get it, THEN kick his ass.;)" border=0>
Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Posted By markperr on 09/10/2008 10:09 AM
Rather than kick his ass (a wholly justified visceral reaction), simply take the young man aside and explain to him the intricasies of the female mind and how she was looking for consolation from him. Young males don't get to be grown men without help from grown men. If he still doesn't get it, THEN kick his ass.;)" border=0>" border=0>
Mark

I agree up to a point. I have no idea why you're limiting the kicking to his ass.:cool:

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Mik: Sorry to hear about this. Pets add so much to our lives, it is terrible when one is lost. Stray, lost, rescued cats tend to be very friendly as well.

As for your daughter's BF. I am kind of old school, he would be history.
Best wishes always, Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Mik,
you got my simpathy.
as father in such a situation you can react wrong, or you can react wrong.... no matter, how you react.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Invite him in for a conversation about how consoling would have worked so much better, have it a the table where you are cleaning your guns.......

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
MIK,
At minimum the boyfriend is an insesitive jerk. All you can really do is be there for your daughter. I feel soorry for her (your) loss.
LAO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts