G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering what everyone else is doing with their Accucraft open cab shay smoke stack. The fine screen on top seems to get clogged with steam oil and no steam comes out. Kind of looks like an electric shay going down the track. I can't have that.

The only way steam comes out the stack is if I turn the throttle way up to an unrealistic speed. Now I have a passenger hauling shay doing 60 mph. I thought about buying

the stack for the Mich/Cal shay.

My question is has anyone just removed the screen or just drill out the screen to match the holes in the stack or maybe a better idea? I kind of like the way the screen looks but if it has to go, its worth it to me so I can see steam.

Thanks

Bruce

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I changed out the stack on mine for one that Torry of Pikes Peak made for me. Even my coal fired vertical boiler Shay which has a VERY hot fire didn't like having a screen spark arestor on the stack (although it was a much finer mesh) so I just leave it off. I don't like the look as well but it was a compromise I'll live with.
There are two other open cab Shay's in our merry band of Upstate Steamers and neither of them have any trouble. One, in fact, doesn't even snap, crackle and pop like so many do without Bruce's "spitinator".
Maybe clean it with simple green or other oil solvent periodically to keep the draft flowing?
Have fun,
Tom

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Bruce,
I saw a great technique that Dave Rose used on the screen on his Lilly Belle. He uses a paper towel (or a rag?) and blots the top of the screen while it is running to keep everything from going out the cheater hole. The effect of a lazy plume coming through the screen really makes for a great prototypical effect!

Dave's Lilly Belle is in a couple of shots in the middle of this clip and in the background (hidden) in the very last scene.

I don't know shays, but this may help.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Bruce, I removed the fine mesh from my Open-Cab Shay for the same reason. It was continually clogged up. There is a series of holes under the mesh and after priming and painting it looked OK. And to top it off, a beautiful steam plume.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys. Nice video Alan. I might just try removing the mesh.

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts