G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN ANYONE SHOW ME THE WAY TO SOME GOOD PRODUCERS OF On30 STRUCTURES....I'VE FOUND A FEW GOOD ONES OVERSEAS BUT I WAS HOPING TO FIND A PLACE WITHIN THE STATES, ANY HELP IS WELCOME!!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
and dont forget..technically there is no such thing as an On30 structure..
because the "30" in On30 refers to the track gauge..structures dont have a track gauge,
therefore there is no such thing as an On30 structure..

ok..maybe a turntable, because that has track on it..but thats it.

ANY "O-scale", 1/48 scale, structure will also work for On30..

Scot

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Like Scot said: There really is no need to look for "On30" structures, aside from getting buildings that match-up well with the era you are modeling. O scale structures are all entirely appropriate for On30 since the trains themselves are O scale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with Scot and Allan, you don't need to look specifically for structures labled "On30" as you will probably not find any. What you really need to look for are O scale structures (1:48) and any of them will work perfectly for On30. Here are a few that come to mind, Raggs to Riches (www.raggstoriches.biz), Wild West (www.wildwestmodels.com), Mt. Albert (www.mtalbert.com) just advertised for a set of 5 engine facility structures all in O scale. You might also look for some Tom Yorke kits, Branline Sales at www.e-model-railroading.com, Cedarhill Designs (www.cedarhilldesigns.com). Also take a look at Firebox Models (www.fireboxmodels.com). Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
While technically all O-scale buildings will be accurate for On30, the Lionel O-27 scenic materials are usually not to 1:48 scale, i.e. they are too large. As an example, Walters sells a O-27 oil pumpjack which is far out of scale for On30. In this case the HO-scale oil pump is more in scale for On30.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
An easy method to judge if an "O" scale building is right for On30 is to use a finger-scale.

If you have a upstanding O-scale figure (meaning not sitting down) simply place him (or her) next to one of your fingers. You might find that two joints of one of your fingers represent the height of a typical O-scale figure.

Then if you see a building in a hobby shop (even a kit) all you need to do is lay your finger next to a key piece such as a door and see if this building really scales out to the size you want. Unfortunately the finger method does work for on-line purchases.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another handy method to measure: I made a 1:1 copy of a six inch ruler on our office copy machine, cut it out, folded it over, and put in my wallet. That way I always have a ruler handy to measure figures, structures, etc. Of course, you could just draw the ruler on paper also.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Pete Chimney on 08/11/2008 11:32 AM
An easy method to judge if an "O" scale building is right for On30 is to use a finger-scale.

If you have a upstanding O-scale figure (meaning not sitting down) simply place him (or her) next to one of your fingers. You might find that two joints of one of your fingers represent the height of a typical O-scale figure.

Then if you see a building in a hobby shop (even a kit) all you need to do is lay your finger next to a key piece such as a door and see if this building really scales out to the size you want. Unfortunately the finger method does work for on-line purchases.

Or if you have long fingers like mine. Even my pinky is two inches for two joints. I guess my fingers are 1/32 scale.

-Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am new to the scale, and while ´m building model from the real life, I make it scratch from Plastic cardboard, it´s real fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sirs,
Thank you for the views of structures it confirms to me I am on the right lines-no pun meant- On my 0 scale railway layout working to 1:43 the scenery embraces a tram section where I am using 0 gauge trams and the track is dual gauge ie 16-5mm and 32mm. I use the 0N30 Bachmann single deck four wheeled tramcars on Peco flexi track and their points and for the 0 gauge double deck four wheeled and bogie tramcars I have soldered lengths of rail onto brass screws. I havn't built any dual gauge points as yet-will add a photo of the track later.The Bachmann trams work from the track-2 rail and the 0 gauge trams work from the overhead wires.
My tram shed(depot) is only half relief made as most of the other buildings are from card kits although the church is a Bachmann 'cathedral?' which I cut in half therby making it twice as long. I just have the stained glass windows to complete and fit a small speaker for background church music.
Jim Brodie.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Pick up a copy of the "Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette" they gots tons advertised

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I just found Morgan Hill Models.

They have some beautiful structures and rolling stock. The rolling stock is specifically for On30.

Check them oout!

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I hung up my On3 cleats to play G.
Pass.
John

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
5 year zombie thread! ;)
probably not a record, but its pretty close..

Since the thread has come back to life:
I packed up my On2 modeling, all my structures, locomotives and rolling stock, put it all in a box and stored it away in a closet..I will unpack it someday, im thinking 20 years or so, when I retire..

for now there is only enough time & money to devote to one scale..Large scale and the garden railroad won out over On2 and an indoor layout..for now.

But I still love the Maine 2-footers..I will be back into On2 scale someday:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/On2index/index.html

Scot

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I am finally recognized for something? Been on this site off and on for many years and never done anything of any significance.

I just found this thread in the On30 forum which has had almost no activity in years and thought it would be nice to revive it.

I am getting excited about On30. I love the number of products available.

I ordered three buildings from Morgan Hills and also three of their rolling stock kits.

It will be almost a year before I get to work on them since we are still in Germany serving a Mission for the Church.

I wish some of you could post some information on track plans.

I have a space about 18 feet long. I plan a 4 X 8 L at one end and a 4 X 4 section at the other end. The middle section against the wall will be 3 x 10 feet..

I plan to run maybe 2 Bachmann engines and short trains with logging at one end and mining at the other end.

Probably on one even cares about this, but I am posting it anyway!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts