G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any market for older Model Railroader magazines? I have quite a few mainly from the 80's to early 90's that are just sitting on a shelf in my studio. I checked ebay but didn't see much movement so thought I'd ask here. I'm ready to part with them even if it means the recycle bin. Thanks for your thoughts and Merry Christmas!!

Richard

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Since I bought the "75 Years of Model Railroader" DVD last year, there's no need for old hard copies of the magazine. The only exception might be if you're copying plans and want the best sharpness (the images in the DVD aren't super-sharp, for a variety of reasons). Like you, I have several boxes of MRs sitting in the garage. I thought of taking them to one of the train shows, but that's more trouble than it's worth. On the other hand, as a print guy I hate to just throw them in the recycling bin. So I dunno...

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Don't think there is much value other than looking for some inform. from earlier years if you were in Ho and N gage trains.
We tried to get rid of our old ones too.. Some back as far as 1951. We even bundle them up as one years bundle for trains show around here for 1 buck a bundle. Not much sale for them. Same as train box's. Starting to use them to start the fire Pit.

·
Registered
287 Posts
What I do is go through any issues more than 1 year old and tear out the articles that may interest me in the future. Usually mechanical or electrical. I file these pages in itemized folders. The rest I chuck. Maybe I'll get that DVD and chuck the folders also.

Wayne

Knackered Valley Railroad
Long Island, NY

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I've been thinking of scanning mine and archiving them digitally by article rather than date. Unfortunately, the issues you're talking about are not old enough to be especially valuable, so you'll likely get only a buck or two apiece. My suggestion would be to find a local club and donate them. If you assume they're worth a dollar apiece and you've got 200 issues, that's a $200 donation that you may be able to deduct from your taxes.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Instead of throwing them away, The next time you guys go to the Doctors, Dentist of other visits, leave some in the waiting rooms, its a great way to get new people in the hobby,

Jethro

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Yeah, doctor's office sounds like a great plan. A few years ago my dentist was gonna have someone build him a garden railway. But then three kids and college tuition came along and his modeling days came to an end. Probably woulda been a good modeler, judging by the fine work he does on my teeth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts