G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No image icon in the menu toolbar, so...how are we supposed to post pictures in this Brave New World?:confused:

G

·
Vic, I have been using the little upload thingy below the "Body" box...it is listed "Message Attachments"....seems easier to me....just make sure the pics are the "right size" ....

uh, yeah...easier, well maybe not...tried to post a pic three times and it keeps coming back "Invalid file type or file exceeds max size(60kb)"

I had to type that last part,and add color to boot...I can't seem to get the copy/paste thing down...tells me to make sure "All POP-UP Blockers are disabled"...hello, I like my popup blockers...

Since there are only 3 "Attachment" boxes below, does this mean that if one want's to post more than 3 pictures per post...he is outta luck...or would have to double post?

cale

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
The attachments only allow for pictures to be uploaded from your hard drive.

I cannot yet find a way to post pictures in line with the text.   I'm sure I'm missing something.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think your missing anything Bruce, theres simply nothing there. I had to type the image brackets in my posts, yeah, BIG improvement/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

Cale, I found the same thing with the "message attachment" box, its pretty useless so far. I suppose you could post 3 things, then use the edit command to insert three more. but so far I dont think it has anything to due with adding images, I dont think the new format was designed around image heavy users, or at least someone forgot to activate the image icon.

An Image Icon would be 50 times more usefull.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Care to relate how you did that? are you saying just insert the image and its automaticly coverted?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Hmmmm, I usually just cut and paste the IMG tag from my Photobucket account, but that doesn't seem to work here now. I just get the text of ......

Any help ????
I could use some..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't have a "upload" anything visible. I made a post using basic html (you know the carat thingy then img src= "blah blah"and the closing carat)...It seemed to load fine, but the pix appear broken when I tried to view it later, though they will load if you right click the broken image box then "view image"...not sure WHERE the problem is doing it that way. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Victor,

No, that's how it works at another site.   Here, I use the IMG tags:  [*IMG] photo url here [*/IMG]

Just leave out the asterisks *

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi All,

You can use the old method: I did have a link saved to allow me instants access to the photo section, and it still works; this requires you to be a 1st class member!

In addition there is (with the 60KB limit) the facility to upload direct photos from your own computer - you can both reduce the size of the photo file using various programs (I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro), this will also compress it which dial up members will 'thank you' for as well.

Alas my spelling checker does not work with it, but I will keep looking!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so far nothing, I'm pretty sure that Shad or someone will have to update the toolbar with an image icon...

The SAME thing happened on the Trains.com forum when they "improved" the site...took them awhile to get the bugs worked out and they eventually added an image icon to the toolbar.

It sure seams funny to me that all these newfangled web formats are not more image freindly from the get go....given how image heavy sites like Myspace are, it seams an image icon would be part of the basic package these days...

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

G

·
Vic

I did upload a photo from my Hard Drive, not from any photo hosting site...haven't even tried to access my 1st Class storage...I could never remember what to type to insert image...a button would be nice for photo adding in text---like the GR Mag Forum! (hint-hint)...

My Firefox spell checker is not operating so I take no responsiblity in what I type from here forward....../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif

I tried to post in the garden/plant forum a few min ago, but it seems the entire website was down..Shad must still be working....gonna try another photo from the HDrive

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peter, but I dont store my pics on my computer, thats why I got the Gold Membership. I know I can still access and upload to my web storage, thats not the issue, the issue is that for the time being I have to hand type the [img*] [/img*] brackets to post a stupid picture, this should be a basic part of the format, not an additional accessory that has to added later. I thought we were supposed to moving forward?

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Was just playing with this.  I LIKE the photo upload from your hard drive feature.  Sure makes life easier.

Have any of you found how to delete an entire post that you just made?  I can delete the text and photo....but a "blank" post results.

G

·
I found the Microsoft Image Resizer Power tool, it seems to work for me now...although I can't paste a link because MLS won't let me............?

Firefox User

Cale

well it did for those above...not so for some others........I'd be nice if this site auto sized uploaded pics...Now there is an Idea!:D

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why not? the Trains.com site does just that, reduces the pics to a "thumbnail" that when clicked gives the full size image.

OK I've also just about given up posting an Avatar, didnt like my first attempt,so I deleted it, now everytime I try to add a new one it says "cannot exceed 80x80" yet the initial posted image was much larger and I've tried using smaller than 80x80 images....

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi All,

Your webspace/photlog is at something like this http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/manage.asp. that should taker you to it. To get there the following link will get you to the page where you add your webname and password (as before) and then you can get to the list of what you have there. http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/ Then you add as before.

Re spell checking, a right click, has a partial check facility that may need some checking done to add to its vocabulary, there is a both a partial list of words, and as you type there is also and underline put on the screen for words spelt wrong. At that underline right click on the errant spelling (yes I have plenty!) and you should get a list of possibles; choose the right one and click it = hopefully the right spelling. It MAY need some training (like me ! [grin]}) .

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Peter, and then.......?   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

i know how to get to get to the webspace, and access my pictures and all that , its once I select a picture, and copy the tag, what am I then supposed to do with it?

The old format was troublesome enough regarding pics, but at least once I copied the tag, I could paste into the reply text, highlight it and click the image icon and get those magic brackets in one more or less easy step.

Wheres that  "old technology" here? Thats the question.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

1 - 20 of 123 Posts