G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going rc and battery. I plan to use either g-wire or the new aristo system. What I am wanting is to have seperate and total control of both front and rear ditchlights and headlights independently. I am planning to use the QSI magnum and 2 Train Control Systems FL4 function decoders. Do you think this will work? // Ok battery guys. What kind of run tme do you think I will get from these batteries? Planning on 2 8.4 volt 4500 mah Nimh wierd together for total 16.8 volts! 1 more ? does the QSI magnum have the slave feature like the ho scale qsi decoders have? Were the horn and bell are muted in the trailing unit while double heading?
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Man,

What kind of Loco is this going in? That will define the time allowed for running. The DCC/Batt thing is beyond me, sorry...I'm old school Batt/RC.

cale

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Cale,
It's going in an aristo gp40. I will be useing 2 motors from a sd45 and also the gear boxes. Put in usa trains gp sideframes (heavely reworked) to look better. Also putting in weaker springs so I get better tracking and working suspension. Engine ways about 15 pounds. Thanks

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
Yes, I think you might be able to tap into the gwire output to run both the QSI and the FL4, would need some experimentation.

Run time, you have good info, 4500 Mah should give you over an hour, but I would use 3, 16.8 volts will be a little low, and the sd45's run slow as it is... after the voltage drop through the QSI (or any decoder) 16.8 volts will be about 14 volts.

The QSI does not have a slave mode, but if you are running the QSI, then you have DCC and consisting is built in, so you can have it work properly, and you can also customize the bell and horn in consists. It will work "right" by default. You should have a QSI and Gwire per loco, unless you want to permanently couple the locos, and you would be pushing the output capability to run 2 locos from one QSI, it would overload for sure on trains of any length at all.

Did I get all the questions?

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Greg I think I will add that 3rd battery. What size batteries should I use to get 2-3 hrs runtime out of each engine?
Thanks Jason

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
You might get that much from the batteries you are thinking of. At this point we need to hear from people with a similar loco and the run times they are getting.

Of course, your grades, the speeds and the length of the trains are all factors.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else have any input on this? What kind of run time do you get from your gp40 or sd45 on battery power also what size and kind of batteries?

Thx

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I'm not sure that anyone can answer his run time question since it is a non-standard engine.

Does the QSI decoder provide a DCC output if you are running the Qwire?

I have batteries in my SD-45 but I don't know what the run time is.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I think its,,,BULL

No really, I'm joking. I get asked run time so much. I DON'T pay attention. I run so many different things that I can't keep track of. I work while trains run. time flys by.
Unless you sit and keep record its a non-issue.
Live steam guys tell me how many laps around their loops they usually get with one engine. That does not apply to mine. one loop is 450ft. who knows where the train may die, who cars, i just drop in another battery and I am off.
Yes I know, I am "off".

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
No bill, no DCC output that I know of, that's why I made mention of having to have the Gwire drive both the QSI and FL4.... if you are adventurous enough to experiment. It will probably work.

You could buy an AirWire receiver, and a Phoenix and a FL4 too... might just cost twice as much though.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The voices in head are telling me to just deal with it and go straight dcc through the rails. That way I have plenty of power and know I can have the function control I want. Planning on my engines working for a liveing hauling dirt, squirrel food, ballast. Looking to build a rotary dumper, and a lot of bethgons, and some aristo 100 ton hoppers. Anybody have an idea on functioning rotary couplers?
Thanks Y'all

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg, yeah they give good advise from time to time !! Also that out loud nagging from my self proclaimed better half LOL (she doesn't read this so I'm safe). RC would be about $300 more per engine.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
It's always a nice feeling to walk up to a cabinet of locos, and pick the one I feel like running, not the one that had recently been charged, or run for 4 hours earlier, etc.

I don't have enough free time to spend it on things not ready to go. Not picking on batteries, just happy that I get to pick what I want when I want. As my collection grows, so does the scale of savings per loco?

(the more I spend the more I save? )

Anyway, it works for me.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
AirWire & P-5 is not twice as much as the QSI solution. The list price of the Qwire itself is only $15 less that the AirWire receiver. If you have to buy the the Magnum version of the QSI system, it costs $145.

In total, QSI kis $250 and AirWire/P-5 is $300. That's not double! Also, the AirWire decoder is rated at 120 Watts for the motor and does have DCC output. I know it doesn't have BEMF but I don't care since I RUN my trains.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
I stand corrected Bill, I was under the impression that the AirWire receiver was more expensive. Forgot the P5 is more competitively priced.

So good deal, AirWire people have a couple of reasonable alternatives, 2 different decoders, and now 2 different throttles.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
If you are going to put the QSI sound decoder in the GP40 you don't need to order the Magnum board. The Aristo decoder will plug into the socket in the GP40. The "Mangum" is an adapter board for non-socket locos so you can plug the Aristo sound decoder intoo the Magnum board.. The Aristo decoder has a socket for Aux lights but I have never used it. You might need an additional board to use it's functions. Check it out at http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/q-aristo.html. I did see a USA Trains SD70MAC and an Aristo Dash 9 at the Big Train Show last year running with QSI decoders with the dich lights working so it can be done.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
The aux light socket is for a future board, you cannot use it at this time. The future board has a processor on it.

Unfortunately, there are no extra function outputs on the current QSI boards, only front light and rear light.

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts