G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Oh Marty...Dwight...

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Semper Vaporo 
#1 ·
You DO realize what time it is yes??? ;)

#8 ·
It takes one old fart to know another Rod. hehehe As for Marty, we need to make a pact not to take advantage of his youth and inexperience. ;)

BTW, I was 4 years old in '55 and I well remember Howdy Doody, Gene Autry, Captain Midnight, Sky King, Hopalong Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, and the Mickey Mouse Club. :) Interestingly, the Encore Westerns Channel has just started showing Cheyenne as of Jan 1st... another great old show which I haven't seen since I was a kid.

Cheyenne, Cheyenne where will you be camping tonight?
Loney man, Cheyenne, will your heart stay free and light?
Dream Cheyenne of a girl you may never love
Move along, Cheyenne like the restless cloud up above.

The wind that blows, that comes and goes, has been your only home.
But will the while will one day see and you'll no longer roam.

Move along, Cheyenne the next pasture's always so green.
Driftin' on, Cheyenne don't forget the things you have seen,
And when you settle down where will it be Cheyenne. Cheyenne!

#10 ·
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 01/03/2009 11:39 AM
It takes one old fart to know another Rod. hehehe As for Marty, we need to make a pact not to take advantage of his youth and inexperience. ;)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" />

"Old age and cunning will overcome youth and skill."

#11 ·
Lone Ranger, wasn't he with a black man who carried a getto blaster??? Mickey Mouse club I seem to remember Annet?? Something like that.
OH, now the Brady Bunch, Marsha was HOT,,,back then.
I do remember Mom having a black/white TV and I used a camera with B/W film when rail fanning IN the U.P. yards. Back when you could do that.

Oh yea, my uncle Bob had one of the first variable speed electric drills. and it could reverse.

#12 ·
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/03/2009 12:38 PM
Lone Ranger, wasn't he with a black man who carried a getto blaster??? Mickey Mouse club I seem to remember Annet?? Something like that.
OH, now the Brady Bunch, Marsha was HOT,,,back then.
I do remember Mom having a black/white TV and I used a camera with B/W film when rail fanning IN the U.P. yards. Back when you could do that.

Oh yea, my uncle Bob had one of the first variable speed electric drills. and it could reverse.

The Lone Ranger's (played by Clayton Moore) "faithful companion" was Tonto, played by Jay Silverheels. There were lots of folk that felt the charater was demeaning to the American Indian, but I always thought he was someone to admire and emulate in his care, intellegence and bravery.

As for your comment about variable speed electric drills. I remember the first one I used in shop class at school very well...

Because, I remember being humiliated by being reprimanded in front of the whole shop class for using it to drive screws.

"There is just no reason for anyone to drive a simple screw with an electric motor. You are just lazy and irresponsible."

I always wondered what Mr. Marshal would say to my neighbor (a carpenter) that drove screws with a hammer? His favourite saying was, "To the man with a hammer, all the world looks like a nail." It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized that all Mr. Marshal had was a screwdriver. (Substitute the appropriate terms in my neighbor's favourite saying and you wll understand how Mr. Marshal treated people.)

#14 ·
Boy, you guys are so young! When I was going to school, my family was TOO POOR to afford a dinosaur for me to ride to school. I just had a small dinosaur to carry my books!

Well seriously, we did not get a TV until 1955. I do remember the family gathering around the floor model Philco radio in the parlor in the evening to listen to our favorite radio shows.

I once tried to be like The Rifleman and left the lever down once I had cocked my Daisy BB gun. Yeah, the old Daisys did not work like The Rifleman's Winchester. My fingers still hurt when I think about it!

It's fun to reminisce.

Yours,
David Meashey

#15 ·
I guess we had a TV earlier than that Dave. Though I was too young to remember it, I have several family photographs from Maryland with a TV in them, and we moved to California in '55. That's just about the year my memories start. :)
De Right is a poet and didn't know it Hee Hee

That's the words to the theme song from Cheyenne. I wasn't old enough to write them at the time. ;)

#17 ·
I remember listening to "The Lone Ranger", "Jack Armstrong, All American Boy", "Superman", "Jack Benny", "Amos 'n' Andy", "The Jello Family", "Dick Tracy", "Art Linkletter's House Party", "Arther Godfrey" and "Hellen Trent" (Mom's favourite Soap Opera) on the radio.

The day we got a TV (I think it was in June of '52) we turned the brightness all the way down but left it on and then waited in the kitchen when my older Sister got home from work. We asked her to go shut off the radio before coming in to supper. You should of heard her screem... "WE HAVE A TV!" We all laughed and went back in the living room, turned the brightness back up and watched TV the rest of the evening... I don't remember if we ever ate dinner!

I also remember listening to Fidel Castro's "bootleg" shortwave broadcasts from the jungles of Cuba. He spoke Spanish and I didn't, but I decided right then I didn't like him!

#18 ·
But do you boyz remember the Jerry the Giraffe show? Was one of the first weekly tv shows I can remember when we got our first tv's in the 50's! And then there was the Saturday night scarry shows which showed Frankenstein, the werewolf, and of course Dracula shows. The Regal Oh man I'm givin away my age now. Hee hee

Whoops don't forget Sat nite wrestling and i don't mean what we have now I mean Mad Dog Vischion, Vern Gangne (name butchered) Pretty Boy
George, Dr. X , the Masked Marvel and such.

#19 ·
Posted By blueregal on 01/03/2009 9:38 PM
But do you boyz remember the Jerry the Giraffe show? Was one of the first weekly tv shows I can remember when we got our first tv's in the 50's! And then there was the Saturday night scarry shows which showed Frankenstein, the werewolf, and of course Dracula shows. The Regal Oh man I'm givin away my age now. Hee hee

Whoops don't forget Sat nite wrestling and i don't mean what we have now I mean Mad Dog Vischion, Vern Gangne (name butchered) Pretty Boy
George, Dr. X , the Masked Marvel and such.

I remember Pretty Boy George!
How about "Dick the Bruiser"? I had a school chum that could not pronounce "Bruiser" and it always came out "Dick the Boozer". They were just as phony as todays stupidity but they were better actors back then!

How many of you saw the first person die on TV? I mean really DIE on a live show, on camera!

"Pinky Lee" was a Vaudville comedian that transistioned to have a children's TV show. He always did his "Dancy Like a Billy Goat" at the show opening, where he would turn to the side and jump in the air, bending at the waist to form a sideways "V" (or kind of like this "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.