G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on our annual back-roads vacation, got back and found from Soundtraxx, effective immediately, Sierra line is dead.

Kind of a relief in some ways.

Been very hard to get a full order for some time.
I waited about 4 or 5 months for just one charger.

All last year we waited for "we will be evaluating upgrades to the Sierra line in December".

Never heard.

After the Quasinami, I am not surprised.

I had already changed my GR ad for the next issue to no longer reflect Sierra.

It was a good system, lower price than almost anything out there, did not need a computer program to change settings, reliable, actually more reliable than anything I've seen.

I handled the line for 4 years before I even knew they had a service department.

From my perspective, hearing what I hear, the push to have only "decoders" can be laid at one person's feet, and it isn't my feet.

Sad day for the hobby as a whole.

I hope they have a good plan to move forward in the Large Scale community.

TOC

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
No wonder. A fellow club member was just complaining about the lack of response trying to order some parts this week.
Does this mean they are just dropping the large scale line? You'd think they would answer the phone and e-mails if they were still doing all the HO stuff.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They actually called me back!

Just the Sierra line.
All others are doing just fine.

Now we are stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I can't say much about it yet, but there is something pretty interesting being developed for battery R/C and DCC.
A simple plug and socket installation for RCS/EVO.
The only wiring connection needed will be for the speaker.

Hopefully it won't be all that long before proto pcb's are ready.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will be an effective Sierra alternative for battery R/C at least.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Hope Soundtraxx gets us a unit that works like the QSI Magnum.. It will work on DC/DCC.. Hope theres has the functions going 2..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Hmmm.....no more Sierra. That's........really dumb of them!! There was a healthy market for these items but apparently Soundtraxx was convinced that decoders are the wave of the future and that nobody wanted the old technology. So, just like that they cancel their Sierra units without having anything else ready! Funny, Stanley said Sierra was dead almost a year ago and Soundtraxx has gotten in bed with Kader..... I wonder how long this has really been going on and just who it was that convinced Soundtraxx to dump Sierra? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
I have a couple of secondhand Sierra units and have been getting decent service from them this year. One EPROM was 'upgraded' from D&RGW "K" to EBT "Mikado" without any problems, and I found the r/c connect kit at my local hobby store 9Star Hobby - still has one or two left.)

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Steve,

Who convinced Soundtraxx to drop Sierra, the money did.. The competition has gotten a lot tougher, Dallee, QSI, LocSound, Phoenix, & Zimo to name a few.. Also their new sound/decoder will work up to 27 volts, that is a good improvement over the 22 volts for the Shay.. Now if they will just get the power up to 3-5 amps we will have it made for large scale..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Um....BB, I think that's my point! What do they have ready to replace Sierra? Tsunami?? That fiasco with the "quasinami" showed that they weren't ready! Bachmann and Soundtraxx weren't even on the same page!! As you've stated, they need to get their new units up to 3-5 amps (I'd prefer 5) before they will have something to replace Sierra! They just quit large scale! There's a heckuva lot more to do with this than just competition! Fortunately, I have access to a few extra units so I'm set but it still stinks! I don't want decoders!! You're welcome to them and I wish you all the luck but I still think this was a stupid decision at this time. :confused:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Steve,

Like you I wanted to blame Soundtraxx for the voltage problem in the Shay, but they could have been told by Bachmann they only wanted 22 volts & thats it.. You know that NMRA thing.. Since I am not in the loop that knows it is any bodys guess.. The people that I have talked to say that the voltage was the problem, other wise they are happy, these guys are all MTS users, 24 volts.. Most have fixed the problem with bridge rectifiers or 18 volt AC transformers for the boosters..

BulletBob

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Ah! But what do we have from Soundtraxx as a replacement for the Sierra units? Believe me, I would love to have a unit that has all of the functions of a true Tsunami......as long as it is compatable with current r/c battery technology! If Soundtraxx is getting ready to WOW us with a new generation of sound product then I will be the first to jump on board.....as long as it will work with my RCS w/on board battery power! Unfortunately, what I'm hearing back-channel isn't reassuring. Well, we'll see....

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Steve,

If I was Soundtraxx I would build it like the QSI decoder board for the Bachmann/Aristo-Craft P-n-P socket with a plug for the G-wire reciever so you R/C battery guys could add a battery & go.. I would also bring the function outputs out on the 10 pin conector.. This would cause you battery guys to buy a AirWire Transmitter.. But this would bring you almost to the present times for R/C control..

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
RoadForeman

You seem like a perfect fit for the NMRA ... wanting to establish a standard for the large scale world based on a single manufacturers product ... without any consultation.

Regards ... Doug

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
The thing the QSI is missing is, (and I hope I can influence this) is to add trigger inputs for several functions. Horn/whistle, bell, and maybe 4 more for different sounds. Then someone like Tony W. could interface to it, and we could all "win".

Maybe this could be done.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Doug,
Louis created the standard a long time ago!!! He also did not ask for any input from any body else that I know of.. He then got Digitrax to build 2 DCC decoders for his P-n-P socket.. He also built a 75 MHz R/C receiver/decoder for the socket for his Train Engineer.. QSI then built a DCC sound/decoder that would P-n-P.. Now RCS has a P-n-P R/C receiver/decoder.. Looks like more than 1 manufacturer to me!!
BulletBob

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Road Foreman

But we are talking the transmitter here ... and you suggested a total proprietary solution in Airwire ...

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I looked at sierra when I was investigating soundcards, and I found them extremely confusing. I could not figure out easily what I needed to buy, and so ended up going with Phoenix because it seemed much clearer. Now using QSI and Airwire, which works well--especially in Aristo locos, where the PNP feature is a real pleasure. And their Magnum adapter is easy to wire, with the screw terminals

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Doug,

It is only proprietary in the throttle.. Any manufacturer can build a "better throttle", but they have to get off there butts.. They could also build a "better receiver", but again they have to get off there butts.. All the R/C plane & car groups are switching to 2.4 GHz with Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum or Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.. We are way behind the curve..

BulletBob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, yes.
I recall when one manufacturer moved from 27 to 75 MC to get more range and to get away from all the "clutter" of 27.
I also recall the claim that CB radios would interfere on 27 MC.

Do you know anyone who still uses a CB?

Now, same manufacturer is supposed to be moving to 2.4GC, which is full and getting fuller.

Ah, technology.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Dave,

All the over-the-road truckers have a CB in there truck.. The 2.4 MHz band has a 32-bit code for 4.2 billion Global Unique Identifier codes for the transmitters & receivers.. I do not think we will run out of codes for a long time..

BulletBob

1 - 20 of 43 Posts