G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OH what have I done??? My future daughter-in-law told me of a 6th month old German sheperd dog that was too big to be keep in town at her sisters. So I said yes. We'll take him.
Carrie and I picked him up.
then bought a chain, kennel in whcih hes used to staying at night.

OH!!!!!
HEs here now, photo to come. nice dog, the cats hate him so far. But whats odd is Carrie wanted him but she is now mad at me???????
what is wrong with the name ,,Barf? Its like bark, or Bart.

I just don't understand women.???

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Marty if you ever understand women please let us all in on how you did it!!!!

Congrats on the new member of your family/ Dogs are great friends and usually a lot of fun.

Personally I think Barf is a cool name.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I always give my wife several options when I want something just be sure the options are much worse than anything you want. "Honey, when I was little, I always wanted to have a dog and name him Barf...then I started wanting a boa constrictor named slinky, or a pet Tarantula!"

German shepards are good dogs but can be a real handful. My sisters ended up biting her neighbor...she wasn't sued because they were friends but she paid for the hospital visit. I had mine trained well and would do alot of tricks. He was well tempered around kids as they could pull his ears or tail but he would not tolerate other animals on the place. I could never break him of that. You can train them to do practically anything his neatest trick was I could put lunch meat or hamburgers hotdogs ect. on his nose or on the top of his head and he would just sit there until I gave him a release command. They also are bad for getting crippling arthritis I had to put mine down...but he was 10 but the last two years were hard for him.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I always let my wife and/or kids name all the dogs. Then I just call them all Doofus. after about a week, thay all answer to Doofus.

Congrats on the family member. I'm certain that a German Sheppard will thrive on you're littel plot out in the country. And I don't expect you to spoil him at all... no sirree.. not a bit.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Marty,
When I got my Sheppard I named him Klaus.
I always thought my wife liked sheppards.
But when I brought him home, she said, "It's either the dog or me."
I always thought I would have missed her more than I do.......
But, Klaus and I get along fine.
Tom

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Have you found out what it's favorite food is yet? It is verry important to determin this. We need to know what to bring when we come next sept or we may be running our trains from our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Hmmmm, Porterhouse, New York Strip, Sirloin, Filet Mignon, T Bone.... I'm sure one of those would work......

For me anyway.. I dunno about the dog.

G

·
0 Posts
I always let my wife and/or kids name all the dogs. Then I just call them ...

same here. every animal, that gets integrated in the family owns a nice, fancy, interesting name, they do not respond to.
plus a short one or two sillable word/name, they respond to.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a good nights sleep in the new ,,dog house. I agreed to keep his given name of Max..

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Always seems to me you need to know a dog or cat for a while before deciding what to call it.

My sister had one of those Shih Tzu mop dogs named "Ling Tiko-tsun of Antartica." A funny little fellow, but she refused to give him his bath, so he answered to "Stinko."

I thought, "Last thing we need around here is a yappy little dog." He had this funny low-pitched bark, and if you really really got him wound up, he'd go "buf."

Carol named a cat "Designs" once. The only appropraite name for that silly cat was, "Dizzy."

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Marty,

Congrats on your used dog. We had a used cat once. Like Tom said, we had to wait a little while before a name really stuck. At first, my mom wanted to call him Dracula because his canine teeth stuck down below his lips, like a sabre tooth tiger. However, it was a few days before he started 'talking' to us. He was a big, gray cat, but when he started talking to us, he had this funny, high pitched 'meow', like as if whoever snipped him got him a little bit too high. So we called him Squeaker.

Dogs and cats don't get along. That's well documented in all the Tom and Jerry cartoons I ever watched. Whenever we brought home a new animal, the established ones didn't like the newcomers right away. After a while, they learned to either tolerate each other or play well together. In Squeaker's case, he and the dog used to gang up on the older cat we had. It was really pretty funny. The dog would chase Socks to a place where Squeaker would ambush her. That's what you get for being an uptight, prissy cat, I guess.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in your new Dog House. Did you build it over your new terminal? I must have missed that in the photos you took.

Also, Carrie being mad at you for doing what she asked is perfectly in line with Jack Nicholson's character's comments in "As Good As It Gets" where he was asked how he writes women so well.

"Well," Jack says, "First, I start with a man. Then I take away reasoning and accountability."

The woman he was talking to was less than impressed...

Mark

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The old neighbors had a white German shepherd, his name was (I'm serious) "Hay-dawg"(pronounced Hey! Dog!).... Ole Hay-dawg had one eensie problem, unless they bought Iams he got gas, room clearing peel the paint kill the houseplants gas. Personally, I think he timed it on purpose. He'd let a big one loose just as everybody was sitting down for dinner, and everybody would scramble for the exits...when you came back your chicken (or steak) was GONE..... for some reason they started locking the poor dog outside at mealtimes.

As far as cats and dogs getting along, the last 3 dogs we had would share their doghouse in winter with the cats, and play nanny to any kittens.

Edit: On the subject of dumb names, a friend of mine had a cat he called "Numb nuts" because it was rather stupid....after it had kittens he took to calling it "Mounds" (because "Almond Joy has...") I gave him "that look" the first time I heard it, too. He just shrugged and said he had never thought to look. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Quote: "I just don't understand women.???"

A man led an exemplary life. One day he heard a booming voice. "Hello, this is God. since you have led such a good life and been faithful and charitable I will grant you one wish....anything you want".

The man thought for awhile and said "I would like a bridge to be built between California and Hawaii so i could drive there as I don't like ships or airplanes".

God said "A bridge across that vast expanse of ocean will take a long time and will be very difficult. Are you sure there isn't something else you'd rather have?"

The man reconsidered and after awhile said "Yes there is one other thing that would be more useful than even the bridge. Give me an understanding of women, what they want and how they think."

After a prolonged silence God finally answered....

"Do you want 2 lanes or 4 lanes on that bridge?"

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
An old lady I knew called her cat, "Kittyboobie." I thought that was beneath the dignity of a cat, but he lived up to his name.

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I just bought a 46" LCD for our family room up stairs that we both watch the majoriety of tv at night....My wife is also mad about the size I purchased as it was suppose to be a 37"...way smaller...she failed to come with me as I asked her to join me in my endevor....she had a chance to stop me but refused to do so...so is it my fault as she knows just how I am...and what I am capabale of doing!?

Because I married my kindered spirit I feel I understand women as well as any man can...that being said I still run into the problem of me being a male that wants' it all..right now, and she knows how I am and how I can get taken up in the moment, so it is really my fault as she should have gone with me to keep me in check!

So I ask all of you should I keep the 46" or take it back and succomb to the 37" as she thought I was going to purchase? To keep peace?

Since I am not in a good light at this time does it matter if I do or not????
Time heals all wounds>

I need to think about this delimma a little more, and just a note....the TV I am replacing didn't need replacing..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif" border=0>

And Marty....BARF?????????? Please!

Bubba

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Bubba, just get her a tennis bracelet, lol

Women are kind of like magpies that way, present them with something bright and shiny and useless and they forget about other stuff for a while.... (NOTE: Bright and shiny and USEFUL-- like a new toaster, generally has the opposite effect...go figure)

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hey Bubba,

You said, "Time heals all wounds."
I say, "Not necessarily for an ex-wife!"

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOOW Bubba, we can watch train videos this winter on that...Can Barf come???

1 - 20 of 46 Posts