G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yes, there is not much gear reduction / torque multiplication. I'd definitely add the 2nd motor to reduce the strain on the drivetrain.

How much does the completed model weigh? Also I did not notice any ball bearings in any of the axles, so friction could be a factor.

Do you intend to pull cars with it, or is it more of a display model?

Again, please do not let any of these comments take away from the beautiful job you have done.

Greg - 36
loco is very smooth an freely, no problem on this.

I want to pull one or max two vagons.

loco it weight 1600 grams tender 1100g without battery, around 3kg on the run

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Those kits are famous for having underpowered motors and gearing, not surprised you have to change them.

Is there a reason you did not use metal rails with chairs and spikes for the roadbed? Would seem easy enough to purchase, but perhaps you wanted to make that as well.

In any case a beautiful model.

Greg
motor power is good but if motor unit was 4wd it would be better.
if I find 2 worm gear and 2 pinion I can try to modify or the easy way is add anoter one for the second carriage.

I do rail by myself because here in my town nobody sell this scale models, on ebay I find many lgb rails but much expensive considering shipping to Italy.. so is not easy to have a test track in few times.

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Some heavy lead solder wrapped around that axle in the foreground would add weight and nice and low. (assuming you do not add a gear to that axle.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
I have never seen an operating model using that type of construction. Very interesting! Beautiful very nicely detailed model.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I'm continuing to make the walnut track, it's a temporary indoor track but I'm seeing that it's very sturdy and works well, so instead of buying some commercial track I think I could keep it

my track corresponds to a lgb R3 and it is the minimum diameter possible to run my loco, I have doubts that it could turn on an R2

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi !

Very nice job indeed.

Seems to run very smooth. I like the job done with the motor hub.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
okay, I have edit all discussion because postimage.org is broken his links.. so I had to change .org in .cc
if you find other broken photo links is easy to edit and change .org with .cc

as soon is possible I prepare a video in the garden with loco running, I wait for the sun stop raining then I make it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A lot of news..
It is arrived second motor unit and a new kit from OcCre Costa MZA, maybe is better I start a new discussion for it.

I have built second motor unit

I have changed radio system with a 40Mhz receiver
this is my new only indoor radio, it was an old Hitec Flash 4 broken and useless..
now with this radio I run two trains with 2 aux funcions each.

Now tender can pull many coaches, weight is 300gr more with another lead plate ballast it work perfectly.

Now smoke unit is proportional with motor units, as soon I will make a video.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
wrighizilla;

I love the way your radio control has that "Steam Punk" look to it. I started firing on an amusement park live steam train when I was 19 years old (I'm presently 72), so I suppose that qualifies me as a Steam Punk.

Best wishes,
David Meashey

21 - 33 of 33 Posts