G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just an observation for the knowledgeable computer wizards.

I am normally open MLS at about 1000hrs UK = 0500 New York time say. At that time and all morning I can easily go back by tapping the backspace key, on the keyboard, and it works virtually all the time.

Yesterday and at other times, when the USA has come on stream, say evening UK (1300 or so New York time), that changes and all I get when using the backspace key is the blank page with the web id of MLS(etc)/default, ---. (did not notice the entire ID and all is working on the backspace!), Then I re-load the site, from the bookmarked link, and remember to goto the top of the page and use the 'active topics' button instead and then all works again.

Is this due to heavier traffic(or server problems?) to and from the site? Using firefox/winXP etc.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Traffic... I get the same stuff on peak hours. I do not believe it is the server loading, since it does not happen EVERY time when times are "slow".

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Doesn't freeze up any more and have to reboot.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Peter

Haven't encountered that particular problem, but then I'm already on this side of the fence, as it were. I know that there are times that I've gotten very slow response even on an ADSL line when it seems to me anyway, that the loading on the Internet gets high. But maybe it's just the ISPs controlling bandwidth usage??? :D

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Unfortunately, you cannot "ping" mylargescale.com, which could be a simple test to see if it's difficulty getting to the site, or the site itself. Tracert likewise is sort of "blocked". Well, it's site safety I would guess.

Interestingly, I found some settings that could unnecessarily increase internet traffic., the SOA refresh value is 900 seconds, RFC1912 recomments 1200 to 43,200 seconds... the SOA Expire value is likewise a bit low, but it has less impact on performance.

Also, both nameserves are on the same class C network, not good if that network goes down, they are both obviously at the same location. This is more of a reliability concern, not performance.

I see the nameservers are in an ip range owned by IKANO Communications, in SLC, Utah... is that where the host is? The domain is registered to Shad out of West Jordan, UT... I guess this makes me pretty close to the servers, so my reports of response time may be better that others farther away.

Well, that was fun investigating.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Actually the blank pages when using the back button have little to nothing to do with site performance. Since I disabled a couple of the features that were causing some instability over a week ago, we've had 100% uptime, with a server response time of less than .20/second. The processor usage has not climbed much over 10% in the past week either.
Blank pages and error pages when you hit the back button are usually caused by your session timing out. If you sit on a topic reading more than a few minutes, then you hit the back button, you'll have problems. It's best to hit the active topics link at the top of each page, or the link into the forum that you're using. When you get into these more complex web applications, the back button causes problems.
The other DNS settings that you mentioned would have no bearing whatsoever on using the back button.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Right Shad, just found some interesting stuff on the DNS side, next time I will email you so as not to muddy up the thread.

Regards, Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts