G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently caved into temptation and purchased an O-scale live steam PRR K4 on ebay. I knew nothing about it but I couldn't resist.

After receiving it, it appears to have been well made but not quite finished, at least not to a running state. I looks like it was test fired but never run on rails. It has a check valve but no axle pump and the tender was not made to carry fuel or water. It had a provision for a lubricator that is now missing but the cylinders are well lubricated with what looks like steam oil. The boiler is a legitimate Belpaire type but there is no provision for burners or grates. The smokebox front looks like something straight off a Lionel model, white metal with a plastic lens built in.

There are enough castings in it that I believe it may not be a one off. Does anyone know of drawings for such a model? I would like to see if I can get it into steam and having drawing to go from to create this missing pieces would be a big help.

Roger

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I believe Little Engines made kits for this and a 4-8-4 over 50 years ago. Not sure. Little Engines is still in business. Google them up and contact them.
Noel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noel,
Thanks for the input but I do not believe this is from Little Engines. They offered a 4-6-4 and a 4-8-4. I had (still do but would have to find it) a copy of a small book they produced on how to construct the O scale locomotives. This locomotive is fairly different in construction and appearance.

I did think that I might be able to use the Little Engines casting to make a new smokebox cover but it appears that they no longer produce the O scale models.

I was hoping someone might recall seeing an advertisement or article on this locomotive. I would love to know its history.

Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts