G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

OK, after a year of collecting dust, I've started tinkering with my 1994 roundhouse liberty belle again. When I last left off, I was dealing with what I thought was a bind in the running gear. Turned out that the slide valve has that half moon piece in the middle of the valve chest. That curved part has to be pointing up in order for those to slide. Weird. Anyway, after I sorted that out, I realized I could do the pressure test to see if the valve gear needed any timing work. So, I pumped up the boiler to half the working pressure (20 PSI), set the valve gear for forward and opened the throttle. Instead of watching the wheels spin, I got a nice hiss sound.

Subsequent investigation revealed the problem is with the T coming from the throttle. On the leg of the T that goes to the new cylinder (I replaced one cylinder last year), there is a rubber o ring or some kind of a ferrel gasket. Do any of you guys have a good source for these little seals? I inadvertently installed mine backward and tore it. I don't think it will hold if I install it the right way. Interestingly, this was an area where I would routinely find water and oil, so it is possible that these have been leaking for some time.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Mark,

My (Roundhouse "Argyll") loco came with a small pack of spares, mostly o-rings and gaskets. I'd call Roundhouse - I bet the ring sizes haven't changed much over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Pete,

I sent Chris an email this morning. She's been good about responding.

Mine came so long ago, I am pretty sure all the spares have been re-appropriated.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts