G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeeez, this week has just been too much. First part of the week, we get bad news that an in-law died, I wont say anything more than its just a terrible waste and tragedy. We also had a major project scheduled, central A/C installation which happened on Wednesday, so I schedule a day off, the crews come after much banging sawing and noise, have the unit installed at the end of the day, but while cleaning up at the hose spigot, the galv. iron water main coming up from the soil burst! Oh crap!

We call a plumber who luckily comes out and in able to put a temporary clamp on it but tells us we likely need to replace it from the leak all the way into the house, a quick inspection he tells us something we already knew, the plumbings a mess under the house, a mix of copper and galv. and most of it undersized, so we hagle and agree to repipe the major supply lines, Thursday comes and goes but they cannot get hear till Friday, OK we still have water so far, but the dam A/C suddenly stopped working, Oh Crap!

Called our sales rep and let him know we thought we bought a Cadillac but think we got a Hyundai, he guarentees someone will be out Friday to fix it. So today out the plumbers came and by the end of the day they had their work done, but as they opened the water main back up from the meter, water starts to perculate out of the soil from the rest of the old galv iron pipe, Oh crap!

So now we are going to have to have them come back tomorrow, and replace the main from the meter to the new work. So tonight we are without water, the only salvation has been my next door neighbor who has let me run his garden hose up to the porch so I can fill buckets to flush the toilet when nature calls, sheesh!

So now I've been off work for 3 days, have a closet where they had to carve a new attic access opening that now needs alot of patch and paint, the one plus is that the A/C guy did show as promised and after some banging and other noised said it was a loose wire from the thermostat, he also "adjusted" a couple other things but that the a/c should be A-OK now, good thing given its been in the high 90's and humid. Also all the new plumbing is 3/4" supply lines with a new 1" main coming in from the street.

This is all after I completely remodeled our back bathroom and finally stripped the wood in the front bath for new paint. I'm just about completely baked after all this, had zero minus 50 time for anything hobby related for the last few weeks, all I can say is, never buy an old "this old house"...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well Vic, it seems to be true that misery loves good company... We are digging the back garden in our home -it has never been touched since about 1980 judging from the state of it(!) This week we have been doing some rather unexpected archeology, a first we thought we had found another "haha", digging on we found the floor -yes, at the bottom of our garden we have the ruins of a building. Some of it is on "our side" but most of it would appear to be under the garage of the people living at the bottom.

We have decided that it is going to make a very interesting rockery!!!

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Vic,
It certainly works both ways, the frustration, for the workers and the home owners. I am currently redoing a parking deck for a customer (have to have these in this mountain community, everything is on steep slopes!). Pulled the deck boards off yesterday and found rotted wood and all sorts of problems. Never seems to be an end to working on houses, always costs more than ya think. The mixture of galvy and copper sure does set things up for horrible electrolosis!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Ralph, be glad your there, over here construction would be halted, a team of archeologist called in to determine if its worth preserving as a historic site. No joke! I've seen construction projects come to a complete halt and a few torpedoed for good when a historic site or indian village site was unearthed, Oh Well, lets just hope thats the remains of a 19th century barn, and not a ruin of ancient Roman Britanium, either way should make a nice garden.

Bob, yeah, I try to look for the positive in things, better they found the dry rot now than when the $40K Escalade falls thru it!

I was very frustrated by the pipe breakages, it was totally unexpected, there goes any hope for a vacation this year, but looking at the pipes, it was really only a matter of time, they were very bad, I dont think they've been touched since at least the 1950's, I'd hate to think they've been down there since 1915 when the house was built! I wonder if with new pipes our water bill will go down, as I suspect some leakage over the years

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I can completely sympathize; our previous home was built in 1972, and we completely remodeled it...granted, it was solidly built and the only issues we had were having to re-engineer various things to accomodate the upgrades and new consruction we did.

As a direct contrast, our current home is only 10 years old, and already I've done more replacements & repairs to supposed "new" construction items than I ever had to do with the previous 1972 home! There has been a definite drop-off in home-construction standards & quality during the intervening decades. I even had to re-wire my entire elecrical-supply breaker box in our current home and replace several circuit breakers, which I NEVER had to do in the old home (the old home had a breaker box that was using only 40% of its rated capacity!!! We added all kinds of extra power & circuits to it!)....our new box is running near total capacity, too...GRR!!! It never ends!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh it's definately Roman Vic -there is no doubt about that!!! This part of the country is "stiff" with their relics -they did after all build quite a large "Baths" near Matlock. As to it's "value" it has none -it looks to be just a grain store. "Trench One" has revealed something that is totally familar to us -a millstone....

regards

ralph

·
Registered
934 Posts
As a direct contrast, our current home is only 10 years old, and already I've done more replacements & repairs to supposed "new" construction items than I ever had to do with the previous 1972 home! There has been a definite drop-off in home-construction standards & quality during the intervening decades. I even had to re-wire my entire elecrical-supply breaker box in our current home and replace several circuit breakers, which I NEVER had to do in the old home (the old home had a breaker box that was using only 40% of its rated capacity!!! We added all kinds of extra power & circuits to it!)....our new box is running near total capacity, too...GRR!!! It never ends!!!

I have to agree with this. My dad and I built my place back in 2000, doing almost all the work ourselves. During this time a couple of local building contractors were working full tilt on a couple of big nearby subdivisions. As I was delivering pizza full time back then, I was in and out of those subdivisions all the time. One complaint after another: cracked foundation slabs, really lousy furnace installation, spiderwebs of cracks on the plaster. I'd drive through those subdivisions after the occasional bout of high wind (fifty mph or so), and the streets would be littered with shingles blown off the roofs. I used to know several people who moved out of those houses and vowed to never move into another one built by those contractors. But my place, built largely by my dad and me...never had anything like that - well, the one time I had a bit of furnace work done by one of the subcontractors - ended up having to redo most of it because it leaked and created backflow problems.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Vic,

I totally can sympathize, my wife and I had a 1941 heart of pine home in Jacksonville, FL. Wonderful home with original plumbing!! All galvanized pipe. I remodeled the upstairs bath, none of the shutoff valves worked and the pipes had what only can be described as atherosclrosis (plugged arteries)! So I turn off the water, remove the shutoff valves only to discover I have the wrong size. So I make the thrid trip to the BIG ORANGE BOX (all projects require at minimum three trips). While I am gone I learn a valuable lesson--open up a faucet on the frist floor to empty the pipes BEFORE opening up a pipe!! Water flooded the bathroom and was dripping thru the living room celing below!

So I get the mess cleaned up and now try to put the new valves on--cast iron pipe or galvanized (whatever it was) is rotted and clogged and breakes off as I thread on the fittings. Now the wall needs to be opened up-lath and plaster. Now I get smart and call the plumber who tears into the wall, replaces the pipe and puts those valves on. (OH and informes me that the entire house needs to be replumbed, now or after I get a leak in a wall!)

I did eventually sell the house to someone with more money to renovate it (mostly because we moved south to Ft Myers). I have a home that is about 10 years old now, and you know what--IT WON'T BE AROUND 60 SOME YEARS FROM NOW!!!!

Next house will again be an old money pit, built with pride to last, and at least when something needs replacing, it is because it is old as dirt, not because of cheap building techniques. Please hate and love your old house, after almost 100years it is still standing and providing you shelter.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys, yep home ownership is definetly a love/hate relationship, sad to hear the new home horror stories, but I'm not surprised by it.
BTW the crew is gone, water running again, took another hour after they turned it back on again to fine tune the system, figure out why some fixtures had high pressure and some had none, all better now, just have to redo all the pavers where they pulled up to put in the new main. I was even able to relocate a great big yucca that was in the way, its now 2 great big Yuccas in the backyard. I got to use a power digger (electric jackhammer) to do that, man I gots to get me one of them!!! Wow, made short work of my rock hard soil!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My parents have been watching the local builders trash a perfectly good woodlot and hayfield near their place. One of those "half-million dollar barns on a postage stamp" type subdivisions. They tell me that they can throw one of those things up in less than a week, and then wire, plumb and plaster it in another 6 or so days.... then move the poor fools who bought it in

nothing like quality.

G

·
Jeeez, this week has just been too much.

must be the martians or other aliens bombarding us with Murphy-rays.
for me it is now two disaster-weeks in a row...

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I used to own a place in upstate New York that had been built as part of a tract of homes by a lumber companyin the early 1900s. First effort at remodeling revealed that most of the interior drains were soft lead pipe. Think that wasn't a shock!
Current home was built in 1976 by a large local contracting outfit (Ryan Homes). Old man Ryan apparently had a stroke any time someone wanted to use metal fastenings ( you know, like, NAILS) so most of the place was glued together, the electrical system sucks (or did) and the copper tubing has paper-thin walls. Sigh. Always something.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well Ray, if we hadnt just redone the old galv pipes last week, how much you wanna bet theyd be spewing water gysers today after that 5.4 shaker! So maybe thats a good thing to look at.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Somehow, my motel room doesn't seem so bad:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts