G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone following the Discovery Channel's Gold Rush-Alaska ?

Totally aside from the debates on the merits or lack thereof regarding the story line of this program,
what is of particular interest to me is that the Quartz Creek claims in the Yukon Territory,
some 45 miles SE of Dawson City are located very close to Sulphur Springs, the end of the line
for the abandoned railroad grade that was once the Klondike Mines Railway.
I wrote about the KMR extensively in an earlier thread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, I watched and enjoyed this series last year and the new episodes this year, however I wonder at times about the authenticity or is this just " made for TV " thing.

I now need to find your earlier threads on the KMR. Thanks for posting. How far you you located from this location?

Dale

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Posted By Dale W on 03 Dec 2011 03:40 PM
Yes, I watched and enjoyed this series last year and the new episodes this year, however I wonder at times about the authenticity or is this just " made for TV " thing.

I now need to find your earlier threads on the KMR. Thanks for posting. How far you you located from this location?

Dale
The location of the original KMR thread is here.

I am located in Copper Center, which is 100 road miles north of Valdez, Alaska, which, by way of the Top-of-the-World Highway is approximately 370 road miles to Quartz Creek in the Yukon Territory.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This sign is at the junction of the Bonanza Road and Sulphur Springs / Quartz Creek Road near Solomon Dome.
I've been there, although that sign was not there back then.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the map showing the route the Discovery crew would have used to reach their gold claims from Dawson City (red line--Klondike Highway to Hunker Creek Road to Sulphur Springs Road:
Shown in gold is the old KRM right-of-way from Grand Forks to Sulphur Springs. The junction where the roads meet is just west of the original Sulphur Springs wye turn-around.
I have located the most likely area where the Discovery Channel gold claims would be found, which is in the upper reaches of Quartz Creek, just north of the abandoned dredge. Click image for the larger map.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a detail of the previous map showing the route from Sulphur Springs to the base of the ridge at Quartz Creek. The abandoned dredge location is marked, as is the farthest extent of the historic dredging operations.

·
Registered
818 Posts
As you know, Ron, we have been in the Dawson City area a number of times, so your photos and maps always intrigue me. I think I've seen that road sign too, although I'm not positive. Seems to me it was there 1-1/2 years ago when we were up there and saw you.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The chances of this team or the other two teams finding ANY significant amount of gold in any of these diggings is close to NIL, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Their chances of finding gold might be NIL...but think of all the fun they have with bears!!!!

I've been watching this show since it started...and love it. It's one of those shows I watch when my wife is asleep. It's just pure hokey...very relaxing.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Personally Jack the father is a idiot and the rest are a accident whating to happen. Dakota fred is getting just what he deserves for back stabbing the other group. Wait OMG i sound like a soap opera junkie. Anyway it's fun to watch and laugh at how unorganized the whole bunch are.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Posted By pete on 04 Dec 2011 07:49 AM
Personally Jack the father is a idiot and the rest are a accident whating to happen. Dakota fred is getting just what he deserves for back stabbing the other group. Wait OMG i sound like a soap opera junkie. Anyway it's fun to watch and laugh at how unorganized the whole bunch are.
It is difficult to feel that Dakota Fred did not deserve what he got, especially considering how he denied that he had done anything wrong to the Hoffmans. No way do any of them have a chance in the gold mining business UNLESS their misadventures happen to find their way into a popular television series. The most promising claim appears to me to be Dakota Fred's. But I don't think he has enough time or resources to capitalize on the glory hole. I don't see much likelihood of significant gold where Parker Schnabel is looking. And my photo analysis of the claims on Quartz Creek show that almost all of that ground has already been disturbed. Also, it is too far upstream to be likely to yield any significant finds.

Above: in front of the abandoned dredge @ Quartz Creek
Below: the Glory Hole in SE AK

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
What happened to Dakota Fred? Is he the one that bought the claim right from underneath the Guys?
I personally would not be digging for gold on land that I did not own.
There are tooooo many goat sucking back stabbing pigs out there
But that's just me

JJ

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
JJ You're right.

It doesn't seem like there is any signed cotracts. Or at least the show doesn't mention any. Todd and his crew are really out to fail. Todd is dumber than a door knob. If they had a contract with the owner of the glory hole, they wouldn't have been able to get thown off the property. The only smart thing Todd has done in the whole show is have the Quartz Creek property sample drilled. They keep talking about how the kids going to go bank rupt if he doesn't find gold, yet where is the money coming from for the kit to buy all this stuff he keeps buying? I hope he hits the big one, but he's just like Todd in that he's mining where he hopes gold is. He needs to do drill sampling also.

While it would be fun to go to Alaska to hunt for gold thinking I could hit the big strike and be rich, the show does show how hard it really is to find gold. You can't just walk up to a stream and dip a pan in the water and pull up gold like the old movies showed.

By far my favorite shows on TV are , Gold Rush, Storage Wars, Ice Road Truckers, American Pickers, the auction show I can't think of the name right now and Pawn Stars. Yea, they're all hoaky to a point they're far better than the crap the wife watches.

Randy

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Randy

I did like the first two Ice Road Truckers.
I have canceled Satellite because I did not think it was worth the money anymore.
I thought I would miss it but I don't
In fact I don't watch that much TV anymore.
I buy DVD of programs I like

JJ

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although, like many other people, I have some doubts about the legitimacy of the story line (Pawn Stars has already been demonstrated to be contrived--any surprise there ?) the locations appear to be legitimate and the problems are ones that could even happen to those who are far more experienced and prepared. It is little wonder that there are few small placer operations left in Alaska. There IS something of a boom going on in the Klondike, however. So this story makes some sense.

As I have already indicated, my real interest is in the historic setting since Quartz Creek is SO close to the terminus of the Klondike Mines Railway, which ended service in 1911.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posted By eheading on 03 Dec 2011 06:52 PM
As you know, Ron, we have been in the Dawson City area a number of times, so your photos and maps always intrigue me. I think I've seen that road sign too, although I'm not positive. Seems to me it was there 1-1/2 years ago when we were up there and saw you.

Ed
If you were on the Bonanza Creek Road and followed it through to King Solomon Dome, then you would have seen that sign. Fascinating country, is it not ? I am amazed that I have only heard of one train model of the KMR--and that is in HO scale. Too bad. This was an amazing railroad that just begs to be modeled.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted By pete on 04 Dec 2011 07:49 AM
Personally Jack the father is a idiot and the rest are a accident waiting to happen.
Each of those three claims has already seen their share of accidents and unnecessary break-downs. However, when one is operating on the fly, these things are to be expected. It is frustrating to watch, but it sure makes for an interesting story--almost along the lines of a soap opera.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I also enjoy watching this show. I drive my wife nuts when I keep saying "I cant believe they are doing it that way!"

I am a Mining Engineer by education and trade (for a while, aint now) so it intruges me. I spent summers working in a gold mine, albeit a much larger scale. I then worked for a rock quarry upon gradutation so I had a lot of experience in setting up a crushing operation.

As far as how the show goes, I cant say if it is made for TV or not. The backstory is correct. I verified that much. These guys were out of options, but Todd and Jack did pitch the show to get money to buy all the equipment the first year. This year I am not sure, I would say its not that desperate. They are TV stars and I think they are getting income coming in from elsewhere.

As far as Quartz Creek goes, they explained it in the show, where the Hoffmans are digging is where the dredge couldn't get to. The creek was too shallow. And the drill assays prove it (first smart thing they did this season). What gets me, is with all the environmental things I had to deal with, I cant believe its ok to just drive back and forth through the creek without any water quality issues. Plus its also amazing that they can just dump the used water that goes through their plant, on the ground and let it run into the creek. I know that in any of the operations I was in we had to account for silt in the water with settling pools plus we definately could not drive back and forth through a creek!

As for Dakota Fred, us South Dakotans like it when North Dakotans get thier just due. I cant help but feel Fred is getting his "just due." One other thing you may not have noticed about Fred's claim is he filled in that glory hole to make way for a haul road. So the gold that the Hoffmans found last year is under his haul road. I doubt Fred finds much.

As for Parker and the Gold Nugget Mine, I have to aggree. The mine claim is probably about played out. We shall see this week or next wither the so-called ancient Smith creek bed is gold bearing. I cant believe that his grandpa is 91 years old. I only hope I make it that long and look as good as he does.

As for Jack Hoffman, I would have fired him a long time ago. He is the biggest safety concern out there. I wouldn't tollerate that on any of my crews.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts