G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning my credit card had been used for a fradulent order over the internet 3 months ago for coffee delivered to me i did not order so card was cancelled and a new one issued. today my wife tried to order some clothes and card would not go thru so she called the bank and they had put a red flag on it cause somebody tried to order from 5 internet companies last nite with the card so bank said they will cancel the card inmmediatly and issue a new one again. they think it may have been stolen when we ordered some movies for grand kids thru amazon.com
using that card. So we will not order any more over the Internet!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
With today's encryption it is unlikely your number was stolen over the internet unless someone's system was hacked. It is more likely that the number was taken when you used it in person somewhere like a store or restaurant.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Ow...

Brian's right. Prolly wasn't stolen over the internet, but somewhere closer at hand. Hope they catch the perp. But then, you might want to check for "malware," Let's see... Oh, what was that one: http://www.download.com/3000-8022_4-10878968.html This one is free and respected by several programmer associates. It can also clear up the malware you get from "finallyfast.com."

But then, if somebody had lifted your number using malware, I think you'd see more big charges than that.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
You can rave all you want about buying over the internet but good old Murphy's law gonea bite. Yep using in stores or especially restaurants it will happen. I guess that's why I never use the internet for any purchases with a card and never in a resturant. Later RJD

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
I've been using cards to buy on the internet for many, many years I buy from Amazon all the times, high cost items too. I have been making purchases through the internet for over twelve years and have not had my numbers stolen. Know the sites that you purchase from. 99.9% chance this occurred during a purchase in a walk-in store. Also that was a great suggestion from Tom to download Malwarebytes. I use it and it works great. Just another precaution.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
If you have used your card to make purchase at a gas station from the pump, make sure you hit the clear
button after purchase, the number will stay in and others can use it too, even the store operator. This has been happing
quite a bit lately. Have not had any trouble on orders on the internet.

Owner of K&K the road to nowhere

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Electronic commerce is here to stay...cause it saves so much money. I strongly prefer using a credit card these days, because there are laws that limit my financial exposure to fraudulent use of my card. With a credit card, you're only liable for $50 of fraudulent charges...but I've never been charged that fee when I've found one...or the bank has for me. That is NOT true for debit cards, checks,...or frankly cash.

Debit cards with the Visa or MasterCharge logo on the lower right can be used as a "credit card"...but the money comes out of your bank account instantly. My brother in law had $14000 taken out of his bank account by someone that stole his BofA Visa debit card. The thieves did this by pushing the credit button on a card swipe machine...which means you sign a chit and don't need the PIN. Some vendors even have rules that don't require you to sign a chit if the "charge" is below $50...Home Depot used to be one and our WalMart continues to do this. If the vendor doesn't check ID, then the "charge" immediately debits your bank account. I went through **** getting that money back from BofA...took five months of constant calling...finally to the VP office of BofA when the customer service people refused to credit the fraudulent charges back into his account. I was flabbergasted to learn during this experience that it is possible to go to some ATM machines in gas stations, and use the "credit" feature of that Visa debit card to withdrawn money. I got a Visa debit card from my bank to use as my ATM card...and went into the bank and insisted they give me a regular ATM card without the Visa logo...and that fixed that.

Checks now represent another risk...because they contain the bank routing number and account number on them. I just paid my property taxes using this method...and I still don't understand how the bank knows whether an electronic debit from my checking account is valid from my perspective. PayPal uses this technique when you pay via Paypal and use your bank account. So do all the grocery stores around here...the clerk runs your check through a scanner and you bank account is immediately debited...and then they hand the paper check back to me. So far, I've had no problems, but I don't understand how this is regulated...nor my protection. Be advised though..blank checks represent a danger because they bear those routing and account numbers...although perhaps a lessor threat than the Visa debit cards.

Cash is dangerous just because you are subject to robbery if you wave a wad of bills at a store.
WRT credit card purchases, some vendors ask for the three or four digit security code on your credit card. This code proves to them that YOU are in possession of the credit card...versus just using a credit card number you got somewhere. If this is on the internet, you've got the encryption to protect you...but when you give that number to someone, you are giving them the informatino THEY need to fraudulently use your card. I worry about some of the workers at vendors that require this number...and think HARD on whether I'll provide it. I NEVER provide it on an eBay purchase...but I have on internet purchases from larger companies. I also NEVER give that number out on my phone as I use wireless phones in my house. Think hard before you give out this number...and that number is there for this exact purpose...to prove YOU have the credit card that matches all the other address and name information.

Lastly, I don't EVER sign a credit card. I just put SEE ID on the signature line. Thus, if I were to lose the credit card, at least it wouldn't be usable IF a vendor asks to see ID..and more seem to be asking these days. I thank all the sales clerks when they ask for ID...and LOUDLY complain to them when they don't...with a remark that it's unlikely I'll shop there again...musta done that 30 times at Home Depot...and they stopped allowing under $50 charges to go through without an ID check. Further, I check my credit card charges via the internet every other day or so to ensure I catch any fraudulent charge early.

As my father taught me...in business and in your personal life, the amount of money you have to spend is inversely proportional to the time since you last checked to see how much you have.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
check your system for a keylogger (program that records all your key presses and sends them off to a server somewhere), most antivirus programs (norton, mcafee) or spyware programs will fix this, either use that malware program above or use spybot search and destroy!

http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

Its 100% free and all you have to do is download it, update the definitions and run a scan. I have purchase a TON of things off the internet and its either the merchant has a bad worker that is getting your card number OR a program on your computer(malware, virus) is sending the credit card info to a bad person.

If you see that lock in the bottom right corner of your browser, that means SSL is enabled, it still takes a computer weeks of time to decrypt 1 packet that is encrypted, and they have no clue if they even have the right one that your credit card info was in (computers transfers massive amounts of packets just to do a simple thing like post in this forum. Plus only someone between your computer and the server that your buying from can even see those packets.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,445 Posts
I've been using cards to buy on the internet for many, many years

Me too. But I have a card that is only used for internet purchases, and it has been replaced a few times over the years.

It's not the internet that you have to worry about - it's the people. I bought some software from a Texas company, and a few weeks later there were some strange charges from a similar part of Texas. Would you believe $24 at Chuck E Cheese? How about $90 at a shoe store? What kind of idiot takes a stolen card and then starts buying ordinary stuff with it?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Mike,

I you use a check @ Walmart & they give you back the check because they charged your account right then.. You can stop the check the next day as the charge will not appear until the close of the next day.. My first use of this method was @ a audio store & he said they got the money right then, I went to my bank & asked the VP.. He said close of next day..

BulletBob

·
Super Moderator
4,966 Posts
Pete, those kinds of charges aren't uncommon, because they don't raise red flags that kick in the automatic fraud freezes. Also, they're a good litmus test to see if the card's been shut down or not. If it still works a few days a crook gets the numbers on those mundane purchases, then there's a good chance that the 60" plasma screen TV will fly. Try to buy something after that, and the fraud protection will probably decline that next charge, but what does the crook care? He's watching America's Most Wanted on his new TV.

My parents were out for a visit this past week, and did all their Christmas shopping for us out here instead of shipping a bunch of stuff out to us. Two days of activity 1800 miles from home got their card shut down by the end of the second day. Interestingly, the fraud freeze shut down all their cards, not just the one they were using. There must be some level of communication between card companies in that regard.

Later,

K

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Most importantly, NEVER ever respond to any of those emails asking you to click on a link to "update" your CC or account info. Often they'll say something alarming like "your account has been frozen" or "someone made a fraudulent claim against your account" or some other BS. These emails are ALWAYS fake! And if you have any doubts, you can go directly to the real site to check it out, rather than using the link provided in the email.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I want to thank Torby for posting that link. Had a malware bug in a computer I don't use that much. Had lots of family here last holiday season and one of them got that computer infected playing on-line games.

Could not get rid of it. Every re-boot and it was back.

I am pretty sure the software from that link fixed my problem.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I have a Citi Mastercard and they provide a program that runs on your computer and gives a "one time use" credit card number. It's only valid once. So even if someone steals the number it will do them no good.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I specifically have a prepaid Visa that I got from my bank just for on-line purchases. I will transfer enough cash into that cards account to cover my purchases only. I may carry a $5.00 ballance the rest of the time. If someone gets that number.. they ain't getting far or much..

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm like Mike on this one... I don't ever sign my credit cards and have see photo id on them. Except for one which I use at the post office cause they wont accept looking at a photo ID, they just go off the card signture which is just STUPID. Anyways, same too with the credit cards, I've been using them for years online with never a problem. I would NEVER convert my bank card into a debit card. The liability is just too great. if someone charges $10,000 on your credit card you don't have to pay it, but if they take the money out of your bank account and that's what you use to pay your bills you are screwed till the bank does it's investigation.

I agree with what was said too, probably stolen locally and also, can your system with a good spyware program and think before you click when online. Sorry you got your card number stolen, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Raymond

1 - 16 of 16 Posts