G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did see foul language in one of the replies to the youtube post...  so you've been warned.

This is a heck of thing to catch on video! 

Video taken last night on the NS Harrisburg Line.  It's a lite-engine
move, with flames coming from the rear engine's leading truck.  The person
taking the video called NS to report what he saw as the train passed him.
Hot journal, hand brake, wheel defect or locked axle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQAGWo3PbZk

Might oughtta look in the mirror a little more often????

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Notice the people watching it pass. Wow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thats gonna leave a MARK...!!!!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Anybody ever notice that CSX prefers to wreck their choo-choos on a regular basis, 
while NS seems to prefer setting fire to theirs, also on a regular basis... 
Maybe some of U west coast guys can enlighten us on what Bun-sniff and the 
Ugly People do for entertainment... hehe
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
And sadly that slug and the one with the truck halfway engulfed in flames came from MY local NS Yard....NS Allentown Yard here in Eastern PA. I really dont know what they did to it.......hehe

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By W3NZL on 01/29/2008 2:38 AM
Anybody ever notice that CSX prefers to wreck their choo-choos on a regular basis, ....
Paul R...

It didn't used to be that way, when my grandad used to tell that when he started on MoW for the B&O in '45 there were 100 guys and one supervisor to maintain the stretch of double tracked line he worked on. At the time of the Chessie merger there were 15 guys a supervisor and a lot of machines. When he retired in the '80s the section had been single tracked, and had 5 guys doing the work and 3 supervisors, two of which never left the regional office, ...and the machines were worn out.

You can only defer maintenance for so long before it comes back and bites you on the behind./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I don't do fire/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif   I do  explosive stuff,   radio active crap, and  hadderzus material  in my derailments .:D  

Her we go with the  Defacation of Charicature.  Snidley Whiplash, ( silver tong devil and  a leagle beagle. for the NR&W) will be contacting you  with a cist and deseased order about  my so call derail mints.   

PS  Snidley is more like a Freach Poodle than a Beagle.  He a little  efemanant.  

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
That is definately a hotbox, if it was a stuck or faulty wheel, the noise would be horendous, and may have caused a wreck. I was going to say traction motor fire, but that would have been inbetween the frame and top of the truck

·
Registered
82 Posts
To all:
Is the engineer's plan to continue moving at this speed to a designated siding?
What are the chances of the engineer - others? - even aware of the problem?
If they are, why the speed -- unless an attempt to reach a "safe area" whereby the fire would be put out??
I don't know of RR operations to make a guess.
Wendell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts