G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
It seems pretty spiffy.

Are you sure you have room for false fronts?

If it is a test track, then how about a switch or two, passing through a switch is a test of a locomotives or cars ability.

Any plans for expansion?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It's ahead of my layout:D

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By trainmaster1989 on 03/02/2008 11:41 PM
Its closer to a test track. Not quite finished yet. I'm still working on the roundhouse.
I'm considering putting some false fronts along the wall.What do you think?

edit: i forgot about the width limi. I've changed it to a link.
Easy enough to fix that.  

Given the apparent lack of space, false fronts would be a nice addition to your starter railroad.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Nice start and good use of the space you have. I think false fronts would look good. Would you scratch build them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys.

Thinker T, Jimtyp,
I think i would have space for false fronts. They would be scratch built using cardstock backing and some strip wood to keep them thin. No porches of course. I think one of them might be a small speeder shed. I'm not sure about the others. Any suggestions?

My dad also mentioned a switch when i finished wiring it yesterday. I would use it to connect the far track in the roundhouse over a little bridge. With a little work i could do it. So i put a bachmann RH switch on my birthday list. :)

Expansion: The track, at least at that level is about as big as it will get. I do have plans for some shelves that i have on the other side of the room. I need more train storage. ;-)

Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Here is a link to some classic railroad structures:
structures

It's basically a digitized book.

I think the speeder shed would be great. How about a station to pick up some passengers? Or depot for goods? Your railroad has to earn some money to keep going :)

Your bridge with a switch sounds way cool!

I hear you about the train storage, never enough!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Hey its a good start! Maybe save for a automatic reverser?

To be quite honest with you I would have serious doubts about storing my cars over my bed without some sort of restraint. A mild earthquake will send them onto your head! Ouch! I've been installing a wood plate rail (also called galley rail) on both my in the house and garage storage racks. They sell it in 4foot sections at Home Depot. Heres a section on the outdoor storage:

I've also done several facades based on Piko kits, but personally my favorites are the facades made by "House of Balsa" they are awesome kits and just right for a set up like yours.

www.houseofbalsa.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jimtyp,
that book looks reall useful. Thanks for the pointer I haven't gotten the time to go through it all but my initial reconisance looked very promising [:)]

Vsmith,

Actually the shelves have brass poles along the edges that would prevent the trains from coming down during an earthquake. I too would be afraid to sleep under those things without a guardrail of some kind. I'll definately check out the house of balsa site. I had forgotten about them.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
144 Posts
What a neat railroad! Please keep us up to date with the false front buildings; good idea about the cardboard backing to keep them from jutting out too far.
SandyR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts