G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not for the faint of wallet, but is anyone interested in a photo freight on the Cumbres & Toltec using restored D&RG engine 315, a class C-18 Baldwin built in 1895? The trip goes from Antonito, Colorado to Osier and back, with stops for photo runbys along the way. It costs $110 for non-members or $100 for Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. If you've never been on a photo freight, especially one on the C&T, let me tell ya it is spectacular. Between the scenery and the sight of a 113-year-old Connie at work, this is one fun way to spend a Saturday (June 21, 2008, to be exact). Hey K, would you condescend to do this, even if it ain't the EBT? :D

· Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike's right. The days of full-scale live steam operating and trackage that is spectacular, are numbered.

Johnny Boy, I don't recall the details of the snowmobile incident, but if it involves an Unser, it could be the C&TSR, which runs along the New Mexico/Colorado border from Chama, New Mexico to Antonito, Colorado--for about 60 miles. The Chama-Antonito-Chama ride takes all day, with numerous photo stops, plus lunch in Osier. But for the #315 ride, they are going from Antonito to Osier and back to Antonito. Don't know why they're not going all the way to Chama, but it may have to do with the grades, which I believe are steeper on the Chama half. When I said, "not for the faint of wallet," I meant that unless you live nearby and can drive there (like you, K), it's as pricey as a vacation, with things like airfare, motel and rental car to consider. Still, if ya love Colorado narrow gauge, this is almost as good as it gets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.