G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see my last post, dated 07/12/2008 9:39 PM, In DenRay's "Mountains, Bridges and trestles" thread in the Track, Trestles etc. Forum. The last smiley actually contains "laugh" in text, followed by the wrong smiley!
I've noticed this a few times on other threads lately as well. I know, in the grand scheme of things, smiley may not be very important. But shucks! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif
(I think it worked this time! Shucks again!):mad:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just happened again on "Marty &Carries 2008 ,,thingy.....", over in the Events forum./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Gary

It's working correctly, I know that it doesn't seem like it, but it is.

I'll have to break the example up with asterisks so it won't execute, but the reason that you got what you did is because you placed a close parentheses directly after the the laugh smiley, which confuses the parcer when you post it.

For example... if I put the :*laugh*: in all by itself everything works as expected, however, if I do nothing more than add the close parentheses directly after the last colon in the laugh smiley code... :*laugh*:*)

I'll wind up with what you've encountered...

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif is created by :*laugh*:

:laugh:) is created by :*laugh*:*)

Because the only valid string that the parcer can find in the last string is the :*) combination.

So if you're going to use smileys then make sure you don't put an open parentheses or close parentheses directly in front or following a smiley icon always use a space character to separate them.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve, thankyew very much! I had one of those "Aha!" or maybe "Doh!" moments as I read your reply. Perfectly obvious - now! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Gary Woolard on 07/16/2008 10:42 PM
Steve, thankyew very much! I had one of those "Aha!" or maybe "Doh!" moments as I read your reply. Perfectly obvious - now! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif
You aren't the only one that got thrown a curve, took me a fair bit of time before I encountered that very same "Aha" / "Doh!" epiphanic moment when I first encountered the problem. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts