G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd pass this tip on to old and new builders alike.

I was recently building a couple of cars at the same time. I was measuring and cutting multiple parts. I noticed that quite often so-called duplicate parts were not fitting properly. Initially chalked it up to working late at night and old eyes. But Saturday, during the day, I was seeing the same thing happening. Scratched my head a bit and then it dawned on me. DOH !
I was using different rulers to measure parts at different times.

I had broken one of my oldest woodworking rules - using different rulers. Sure enough, holding up the rulers I had been using I discovered that they matched up for the first inch or so but as you went further out, the drift became more and more apparent.

So, the moral of the story: use one ruler for all measurements. If you must use two, make sure they both measure the same distance across the whole ruler. It can make a big difference regardless of whether you are building full size furniture or scale models.

Bill

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
I had received this ruler as a gift...but it took me a bit to figure out just why my measurements were not coming out right! I never thought that they would leave out a number.

Luckily, they did end up replacing it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Here are a couple of things that can really improve the accuracy of scratch built parts.

An Awl makes finer marks or lines than a pencil or pen. It can also be used to indent a starting point for small drill bits, or score plastic sheets and perf boards with precision and safety.

An Incremented Ruler has fine guide holes and slots, in 1/32nd inch increments, that effortlessly hold your awl point exactly on target. This allows even those with ten thumbs and fading eyesight to measure and mark with precision. Suggested supplier: Micro Mart under tool number: 81569.

Squares
provide perfect 90-degree angles. This inexpensive set of three contains two, three and four inch blade sizes. Suggest supplier: Harbor Freight under tool number: 39047-0VGA.

A True Sander provides accurate sanding of end cuts on wood or plastic for a fine fit. The guides allow you to accurately true any angle for perfect mitered corners and square cuts. Suggested suppliers: Northwest Shortline and Micro Mark [/b]under tool number: 14475.

[/b]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts