G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brian just informed me that the tent will not be up for the show! Not sure what to do, I do not have any canopy. I have no desire to sit out in the hot sun for four days! If we cannot come up with any kind of a solution, I am pulling out.

· Just another old guy
842 Posts
Bob,

I just looked at the extended forecast. 89 degrees on Thursday, 86 degrees on Friday and 82 degrees on Sat. It is going to be warm.

I have one 10 x 10 canopy I can bring.

Will the convention center still provide chairs and tables?

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

· Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian left a message/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif He said it was something to do with the fire department. I don't know if it had to do with the live steam. I do know that they have said that the tent was illegal for the convention center. I called Brian and left a message and will talk with him further on the issue. I do know that he won't provide any kind of shade, I went thru that with him at the QM. When I talk to him, I will try for inside and see if that flies.

· Vendor
3,609 Posts
Hi Bob,

Just saw the post about the "no tent." A couple of thoughts if there is a possibility for doing the show.

Questions.....

Is the tent gone or won't the FD allow the live steamers under it?
If the tent is there and the FD won't allow the track under it, does Brian have another spot to set up?
If there's another place to set up, could you use 3 or more 10 x 10's? Tommy has one and I just called Duncan and he said we could use his 3. Also talked with JJ and he can bring Duncan's to Ontario.

Just thoughts.... If it's still a go, there'll 3 of us to help Thursday early afternoon to get 'er set up

· A Steamed Elder
3,912 Posts
Bob,

Just a thought-How about the open hallway at the hall entrance on the east(?) side? That area might get the attention of the general public and interest in live steam.

· Just another old guy
842 Posts
What I remember about the convention tent is that it is considered a temporary structure. It is only allowed up for a certain amount of time, then they have to take it down. After some time passes, they can put it up again, temporarily. As for the amount of time it is allowed up and how long it has to be down, I don't know. I guess we just got lucky last year.

Tomy:cool:
Rio Gracie

· Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Tommy has a good question....no tent could mean no tables and chairs out there...which are kinda essential for live steam ops. It also means the steam tracks are kinda exposed at night. What is the security situation?

For those concerned about the BYOL thing on Saturday by the steam track...we'll find a spot to get together...in shade I hope.

Does anyone know the booth number that Shad got...and is it on the end next to the indoor layouts?

· Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, talked to Brian just a little while ago. The tent was taken down because the new fire marshal who did not approve of it; it had nothing to do with live steam. There is no chance that we can be inside. It would require Brian to hire a fire marshall to be present throughout the show. He told me that Del Oro cannot even have their forest fire module for the same reason. Brian told me that hiring a fire marshall is beyond his budget and has no intentions of doing that.
So, we are still to be outside. Tables and chairs are not a problem, I asked. So, if we are to do this we will need canopies. I figure we will need at least three to four inside the track. A few outside the track would be nice for onlookers. Hopefully, we can put this together.
Contact me a [email protected], my cell is (909)991-9974

· Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Pardon me while I can understand the tent code issues, but the Del Oro issue sounds just plain stupid to me.

Now if the Del Oro fire module isnt allowed, does that mean all smoke units on any trains in operation on the various layouts will have to be switched off???

Afterall doesnt the module use a standard smoke unit to generate the smoke? Sounds like way overzealous code enforcement to me. Sheesh!

Maybe we'll get a nice case of June Gloom overcast for that weekend.

· Vendor
3,609 Posts
Just updated with Bob about Duncan's canopies..... JJ will pick them up and bring the 3 with him on Thursday. I'm going to bring 6-8 5 gallon buckets and a few tie down straps. We'll fill the buckets with water for weight. Anyone that could bring a few would be welcomed. Sounds like Tommy and Howard will each bring one for a total of 5 so far. That'll be good... :):):):)

Track will be set up in the same area as last year sans the Sprung Building... AKA the tent..
Bob says set up is planned for Thursday afternoon....

· Just another old guy
842 Posts
Okay,

Will see you all on Thursday afternoon. I will bring my canopy, but I ain't got nuthing to weigh it down with. So if somebody gots some weights, or buckets or empty gallon containers we can fill em and tie em to the canopies.

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.