G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a problem is it having the National Garden Railway Convention and NMRA National Convention held on the same week in 2016? The NGRC will be held in Santa Clara, California and the NMRA event is in Indianapolis, IN. They will be 2,302 miles apart so I don't think anyone will be driving back and forth between the two!

We're just getting our website up and running: http://ngrc2016.org
Their's is also coming along: http://www.nmra2016.org

Russ Miller
NGRC 2016 Chairman
#ngrc2016

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most, if not all of the vendors that display at the National NMRA Convention are in the smaller scales with HO having by far the most vendors. I was hoping to get Walthers to come and display LGB products at the NGRC but they will most likely be at the other event.

I'm more worried about attendees. I already know a few BAGRS members who've never missed an NMRA National so they'll most likely head to Indianapolis instead of helping me throw the best National Garden Railway Convention ever… I'd really like to know if there are any MyLargeScale Members that will attend the NMRA Event instead of coming out west to the 2016 NGRC.

Russ Miller
2016NGRC Chairman
#2016ngrc

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Russ I am alot closer to Indy but i am going to yours, but i never go to NMRA and almost always go the the NGRC, whatever that is worth.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Indianapolis is a tad more than a days drive so thats a non-starter to begin with. Having attended last years NNGC right in my backyard I have to say I'd lean much heavier towards the Garden Rail show. If I could I'd apply to display the pizza but thats way too far in the future to commit to anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn't even attend the NMRA convention when it was in my city, so as far as I'm concerned there's no conflict. Now as far as vendors go I *wish* there was a conflict, but recent at NGRCs I haven't seen many of the bigger vendors with multiple scales.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We'd love to have the PIZZA Layout! No commitments yet but keep us in mind.
Russ Miller
NGRC 2016 Chair
#ngrc2016

Indianapolis is a tad more than a days drive so thats a non-starter to begin with. Having attended last years NNGC right in my backyard I have to say I'd lean much heavier towards the Garden Rail show. If I could I'd apply to display the pizza but thats way too far in the future to commit to anything.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
We'd love to have the PIZZA Layout! No commitments yet but keep us in mind.
Russ Miller
NGRC 2016 Chair
#ngrc2016
I'd love to attend, the biggest issues for me are the logistics of distance and time commitment, so far I have only done shows that allow me to stay at home at night, that's why the NNGC was so brilliant for me, it was almost literally, right down the street from me. 2016 is a ways off we'll have to see what we can do.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Well seeing how I also have no interest in the NMRA I will not be going there . I'd love to attend the NGRC but way to far to go as I do not fly.:( Later RJD

·
Registered
79 Posts
Russ - From a vendor's standpoint, they will have to make a choice and potentially loose sales. From the modeler's standpoint, I don't think many folks are going to be affected.
Has anyone queried the vendors to get their feedback. From what I've seen there are fewer and fewer vendors going to the NGRC these past years anyway.
There is the option to reschedule the NGRC to a different date. Personally, I will be attending the NGRC convention regardless.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I looked at the vendor list from the 2014 NMRA Convention recently held in Cleveland, Ohio. Out of 130 vendors listed (!) I can only find 4 overlapping companies: Bachmann Industries, MTH, PIKO America and Woodland Scenics. I'm hoping these companies have a large enough staff that they can have a presence at both conventions. I personally think we will be OK with the vendors. I was more worried about G-Scale Train enthusiasts who might be torn between the two. I'm glad that the fine folks on MyLargeScale are fully behind the National Garden Railway Convention.

Russ Miller
2016 NGRC Chairman

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
The NMRA has always been overwhelmingly dominated by HO and N, followed by O and only then Garden scales. I would think most garden scale vendors would put their support behind the show thats entirely oriented to those scales. Despite the inroads large scale has made into the NMRA culture in the last decade, in many respects we're still the outsiders. I'll put my support behind the show thats entirely oriented to large scale.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
it means that I will miss the Garden show since we set up booth at both shows, and NMRA is much larger sales show for us ... but I hate missing the garden show .... :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts