G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the Tulsa NGRC 2017 Banquet is tonight. So far, no one has stepped forward to bid on the 2020 NGRC. Unless for some bizarre reason they are keeping it a secret for some kind of surprise reveal, there will not be a 2020 Convention.

Start making plans for Portland in 2019. It might be the last one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friends,
Best make plans to enjoy 2018 in Atlanta and 2019 in Portland. See http://ngrc2018.com/ for info on Atlanta. I am hopeful that someone will come forward for 2020, but as of yet, there is no 2020. Get you fix in 2018 & 2019!

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Part of the problem may be that it takes a fairly large and well-organized local club to sponsor a convention, and membership numbers may have been dwindling in recent years. Some time ago, the local Roanoke club (now inactive) was invited to sponsor a convention. With less than twelve members, I had to respectfully decline. So I can see where the search for a sponsoring club may take well over a year.

Regards,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Granted, I'm new at the convention thing, but, learning what I have recently, I don't see any way someone could put on a national convention in under three years. Asking around, most venues suitable for an event this size typically require at least two, often more, years advance booking. That's one of the reasons we are holding the convention in September. When we got the bid in 2016, all the viable venues in June/July/August 2019 had already been booked for a year.

So, unless some one comes forward in the next few hours, there will likely not be a convention in 2020. Once the momentum is lost, I don't see it recovering.

I would absolutely love to see someone prove me wrong.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friend,
At this point, the 2020 host would likely have to be Denver or Cincinnati, or some other location that already has the structure in place from past hosting.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I've heard a rumor that 2020 could be in New Mexico, Albuquerque, the town.
That could entice me to go...
John

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friends,
Reports from the banquet at Tulsa was that no one presented a bid for 2020. So, officially, there is still no 2020 convention site. Maybe someone will come forward at Atlanta next June to bid for 2020. We can always hope!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friends,
It is February 6, 2018. There have been a few inquires about a table for a bid for 2020 and a couple questions about what it takes or how to host a convention. However, no one has yet made an official request for space to promote the 2020 National Garden Railroad Convention.I do hope someone steps up. We will provide them space.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think the general shrinkage in the hobby isnt helping matters, most of the folks I see in the large scale clubs are of the older generation and it takes lots of energy to host something of this size along with lots of time to organize the layout tours ect. Would love to see the it hosted in Indianapolis, several venues that could handle that, many layouts in the central Indiana area. But not sure that group has the membership base to handle setting up something like this anymore. I would go if Cincy did it again, that was the last one I attended. I m not at a point in life where I can travel to the real distant ones. Mike the Aspie

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I've heard a rumor that 2020 could be in New Mexico, Albuquerque, the town.
That could entice me to go...
John
This rumor was put to rest, got a nibble but no one wanted to run with it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Friends,
Plan to come to Atlanta and Portland, as they are our only confirmed conventions. www.NGRC2018.com will get you Atlanta info/registration. Approximately 30 layouts on tour Wed-Sat and another near 20 on the Sundays before and after. Steam train rides, two diesel train rides, large vendor hall, clinics, BBQ and more.See you in Atlanta!

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a reminder, the 2019 NGRC dates have changed to August 27-31, 2019 so not to conflict with the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Sacramento the following week. Over 40 layouts on the tours, lots of pre-convention and in between conventions activities. Cab rides in SP 4449 and many more fun things to do. See you in Portland in 2019!

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As the 2018 NGRC in Atlanta rapidly approaches, from what we have heard, no one yet has come forward to offer a bid for the 2020 or subsequent convention. So, as it stands now, the 2019 Portland NGRC will be the last National Garden Railway Convention.

Registration opens on August 30th, 2018. There are several events with limited availability (i.e. 4449 cab rides, only 18 available) so be sure to register early. Make plans now to attend.

See you in Portland in 2019!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Stop with this "Last Convention" nonsense. BAGRS was willing to host 2020 but your Chairman is afraid it would steal some of the thunder from Portland so we tabled it. I really don't like the negativity that it brings and if your convention is all about negativity than I and many of the Bay Area Group won't attend your little gathering in Portland.

Russ Miller
2016 NGRC Chairman

·
Registered
207 Posts
Politics and Religion should not be part of the enjoyment of our hobby....
This topic is basically POLITICS, so end it now.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Just curious - How does a 2019 convention in Portland next year 'take away' from a 2020 convention that is yet to be decided two years away? ;)
I think you have it backwards, and I can see the logic.

If people know there will be a convention in the Bay Area in 2020, from a very active group that has proven their worth in the past, with beaucoup garden railroads to see, and more local "stuff" to do, they may rationalize that it is worth waiting a year and going to a convention that is much closer to major cities, reducing drive times, thereby forgoing the Portland convention.

Not saying that I agree with the decision, but I can see it. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts