G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just ran my Newqida Hartz steam train in a small 4" circle with plastic track that arrived today in a set with two TB ("Triebwagen Bahn") blue passenger cars. I also purchased a Newqida Railway Experts (wish it was rather labeled TB) yellow freight car. I believe that this train with several improvements, as described below, offers a new future of radio control with battery operation for Large Scale trains.

1. Replace the glitching 27MHz Transmitter and Receiver with a 2.4GHz combo. While my two channels 75MHz Tx/RX should work, I would like to also activate the lights on/off and sound on/off, along with switches. Thus, it will need a minimun of 4 channel and perhaps 5 or more channels may be needed.

2. Investigate whether current electronics or if upgraded electronics are needed to allow installation of at least 11.1V LiPo (I have several for RC planes) or Lithium Ion battery. My Hartz train just ran approximately 90 minutes on 6 cell 7.2V 1500 mAhr NiCd battery. It is a strong puller with just 7.2V NiCd, so no need for 18V batteries, unless motor is also upgraded. I will next try larger 8.4V NiMH battery or two 7.2V NiMH batteries in parallel to get approximately 4 hours running time.

3. Replace the sound unit with an economical one, perhaps 'Legacy' German Steam Sound (BR50) from Dallee, if I can find an example to listen how it sounds. While the bell is OK, the "whistle" sound horrible, like a sick bird, and the chug is not synchronized to the speed.

4. Consider causes of motor humming sound that is noticeable at low speeds and clacking of side rods while turning.

5. Investigate the left and right bifurcation track control functions on the 27MHz Tx for switches, which I have not found at two current retailers for Newqida.

6. Continue expanding my plastic track at a very low cost of $1.50/foot versus $6/foot for brass. I would likely work nicely in an overhead room perimeter track system.

Perhaps, some others here have already made several improvements on their Newqida trains?

Bryan

·
Registered
115 Posts
Paul at Hammond Toys asked me to contact Newqida, which sent me back to Hammond Toys. I am back to Newqida, but my outlook here is not good for getting answers back to my questions above.I decided to try installing a Aristo-Craft new Revolution 2.4GHz receiver this Winter to stop the glitching.I may also install the Dallee sound module with "exact recording of the German BR-50."Bryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also found these cars to be great value for money but extremely difficult to acquire as the Chinese factory always appear to be behind schedule. Can members help with a question related to these coaches. If you need to fit passengers inside how easy is it to remove the roof?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have removed the roof of two Newqida passenger cars to installing LED light and people. It is a snap off and snap on with no screws. Worked fine for both.

Bryan

·
Registered
115 Posts
WANTED - Newquida plastic Train Track. Most interested in straight sections, but will purchase collections of both curved and straight, along with any switches available.

Please send me message to work out sales with me.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Posted By dentt on 29 Jun 2011 05:17 PM
Have you seen the new HSB Passenger Car at http://www.hammondtoy.com/? Red Hsb Harz G Scale Passenger Coach Train Car European Style

I just received a few emails from the guys in Germany yesterday.
They are asking me to help them compose a complaint letter to Hammond Toys in English about these specific cars.

The paint job is apparently miserable.

I'm being told that these cars are actually not original Newqida from the Chinese factory but that Hammond Toys are having them repainted.

Can anyone confirm that?

The paind has runs in it as well as scuff marks.
Sample pictures below.

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
So the unpainted green and red ones are $40 and for $5 more you get a crappy paint job on all 3. It's clear they are being painted there.

Seems about right.

Seriously, you want a Ferrari finish on a Yugo?

I hope the people at hammond don't laugh so hard they have a stroke.

Yeah, it's crappy... what do you expect?

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I didn't expect anything since I didn't buy these cars..........

However, if I had I would have expected these cars to be of no lesser quality than the Newqida cars made in China.
There is nothing on Hammonds website to even indicate that these cars have been repainted - that was really my question - not if a customer should have expected a better product.

As to the people at Hammond laughing about this as you suggested, maybe - but they responded to the complaint immediately and offered a discount on the next purchase which made the guys in Germany happy.

Knut

·
Super Modulator
20,519 Posts
Yep, I guess you have a point, that is one of the few times I have seen "rework" even lesser quality than the base Newquida quality (you have to admit it's definitely not first quality stuff)...

That kind of painting we see here in California, usually on the sides of buildings with really weird words and characters.

Good deal on the response... I guess they will get better taggers to paint the next batch...

Sure paid off making the complaint...

Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is paul hammond from www.hammondtoy.com. We have found a small percentage of trains with paint flaws. We are now inspecting every car before it is shipped out and any car found with flaws is removed and sold on ebay as refurbished. We have contacted newqida about this and the problem has now be fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have anyone seen the new 2014 newqida train cars? I understand they are now using uv graphics instead of painting them so the detail is better and no paint runs.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts