G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My indoor layout has two ovals (R2 radius outer loop and R1 radius inner loop) and will use two different power supplies. No plan to connect ovals (for now). My questions are on bus/feeder/common rail wiring.
1. Can I use one common ground wire for both ovals?
2. If so, can that common ground be to my accessory bus. In other words, does the ground have to be attached to the same transformer where it's getting power?
3. Biggest oval is about 18ft long. I plan to run a + feeder at each end of the oval. Do I need two grounds or just one?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick in Northern VA

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i did use common wire.
the blue wire (in my case) went from both regulators to both ovals. the two red wires went from one regulator to one oval each.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
If running both trains at the same time at a good speed and the polarity is opposite then you can have over 30 volts between the 2 loops, can harm/kill pets or children/people.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you are using two transformers I would wire them both separate, anytime you can isolate your wiring it's much easier to find a problem when you have one, plus wire is cheap. The rules completely change when you hook the two ovals together, totally different wiring setup.

trainman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts