G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all
By all accounts, I am a beginners as compared to all those in this forum. That said, I need some advise on track type. I was given 2 different types of track for my Bachmann 90088 king coal steam passenger set. one appears to be aluminum and the other, brass finish.

My latest project is to build out a shelf layout around one of my rooms. Before I just to ebay to purchase more track for a 21' by 11' room, I want to know what type is suggested.
I have pictures, however I do not see a way to add them
The aluminum track appears to have connectors similar to HO or N Gauge track. The Brass as a different connector. In addition, the brass type - looking at the straight sections, appears to be smaller than the Alum type. Further, the Alum type looks like it may "rust" or break down easier..

Thanks for any help !

Respectfully,
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
it is steel, not aluminum and it will rust plus the ties are only for indoor use, no UV protection.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bill,
I have a ton of solid brass LGB track just sitting in boxes. I bought a couple of lots of track at train shows while I was planning to do a G Gauge layout, and only used about 1/2 of it. I have built my train loop as big as I want it, and have been thinking about the best place to try to sell this track. I do not have a good inventory at they moment, but if you are interested let me know and I will get one together.
George

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only use LGB track and I'm still running 30 year old track and the track is in perfect shape. I would say for an around room elevated layout probably just about any track will do as weather and being abused probably does not come into play. My biggest concern would be that the track and engine are good stable runners and derails don't happen for one reason, or the other. Like I said, I never used anything but LGB track and engines and derails are pretty much non existent thing, that 7-10 foot drop to the floor is usually not a good thing. On another website I just read where the Bachmann 2-6-0 have front pilot truck problems and cause derails, I never owned any of these engines, so I can't speak from any personal experience on this, but probably worth checking into.

trainman

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
the other, brass finish.
Bachmann does make brass track that is compatible with Piko, LGB, etc. Much better than the steel rubbish in the sets ( we use that on storage shelves, or throw it away.) If you look at the underneath, you will probably find the molded manufacturer's name.

Inserting pictures is very easy. (There's a FAQ in the website forum.) just click the little sq icon with the back hill/mountain in it, and put your pic in the box that opens.

·
Super Modulator
20,720 Posts
To the OP (Original Poster):

Even though the Bachmann steel track can be used indoors, I would not use it, and get more brass track. Trying to mate them will be difficult, you might have to have someone 3d print some kind of specialized joiner.

If you use the steel track indoors, give it a wipe of some corrosion resistant spray every so often, especially if you live in a humid environment. I do believe it is tin-plated steel, and the plating is very thin.

Greg

·
Registered
421 Posts
As others have said. LGB solid brass track is the most durable for the price and is easy to find both new and used.
Having a wall train or "Shelf train" myself,... You may also want to ask yourself,, Do you want "Narrow gauge" or "Standard gauge" ?
In retrospect, i kind of wish i had went with standard gauge tie spacing as the narrow gauge becomes more obvious with 1/32 engines.
But outside the narrow gauge allows for more ballast between the ties.
Also ,, if i had had the funds at the time,,, i wish i would of went with stainless steel as i would of never had to clean it. but that is expensive and sometimes hard to find.

Currently i have a bunch of Bachmann hollow steel track, and i wondering what to do with it.
I was thinking maybe make some diorama,, but it doesn't look real enough for that. Maybe make display track for shelf storage of models , but again its lacking in detail.

* Also as others have said.. try to stay away from the smaller R1 curves. The larger curves look more natural while the train is running and there are less "wrecks" on larger curves ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For you to pick the perfect eye makeup cleaner pads, you should understand your skin. The sensitivity of the skin in each woman varies; some stand up to the chemicals of a cosmetic while others do not. You need to know which makeup remover pads are the best for your eyes, so you avoid harming them or having an allergy to a poor product.
e-commerce website

1 - 9 of 9 Posts