G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a newbie who  just caught the G scale bug and am upscaling to G from 2 rail O scale.  I have a very tight buget and have to keep my expenses down (for the first few years anyway).

I have been reading some of the posts that I can find and for a frist  purchse I am leaning toward either an Aristocraft 0-4-0 or a Bachmann 4-6-0 "Annie".   I want to run either Bachmman narrow guage or some Buddy L cars for now.  I understand that the Aristocraft is 1/29th scale while the Bachmann and Buddy  L are closer to 1/22.5  

My question is which engine is more reliable and  will "hold up" better?  I also under stand that the minimum diameter for these is 4.0 ft (R-1) curved tracks.  I want to keep the track radius down to a minimum as this will be an indoor lay out for now. How well do either of these engines handle this tight radius track.  I can go up to a max of  6 ft diameter.  Does the extra diameter make THAT much of a difference?

I also have seen some Buddy L cars that can be had for $20 each or $60 for a set of 4.  Is this a good buy compared to  $30+ for Bachmann if detail is not an issue? How well to they run particullary on tight 4 to 6 ft diameter curves?

Has anyone any experience with the new Aristocraft Aluminum tack.  Is it as sturdy or as good a conductor as bass or stainless. The Aluminum seems very reasonable price wise but how good is it performance wise? Is USA or LGB track a better choice?

Hope you can help!!   

G

·
0 Posts
Buy the Annie hands down...the Anniversary is a very nice starter loco...but what exactaly are u looking to do? Steam, Narrow or Std gauge? early late?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Go for the Annie. It is a much-improved version of the original Bachmann "Big Hauler" 10-wheeler that started me off in large scale. My Big Hauler handled four-foot diameter curves just fine, even S-curves. No reason why the Annie shouldn't as well.

Dawg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I quess the Bachmann is a better fit scale wise, still I like the look of the little Aristo craft 0-4-0 locomotive.

Any ideas on the aluminum track that Aristo craft is comming out with? or the Buddy L cars?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think its a bit of a toss up as far a reliability. The 0-4-0 is a nice little engine but only half the size of the Annie and is geared a bit fast.

I would base your decision on where you think you may go in the future. It you think you may be adding standard gauge cars (40 foot boxcars, Sierra cars, etc.) and locos (diesels and big steam) in the future, go with the 0-4-0. If you think you may go the narrow gauge route, go with the Annie.
Aluminum track is primarily for battery/RC operation and can be used for track power though maintenance can be more than for brass track.

-Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the Annies too and have two of them. I have experience some problems with them though. The first one had problems going faster than a crawl, even though I upgraded my power supply twice, finally ending up with a 10 amp Elite unit. I ended up sending the Annie to Barry's Big Trains for some of his magic, which cured the problem. The second Annie locked up right out of the box. I found the screws that hold the rods to the drivers were all loose and one had backed out enough to block the rod and locking up the whole thing. That being said, I also have an Aristo 0-4-0 that is just plain bulletproof. It's like the Energizer Bunny. Now, looks-wise, the Annies have the 0-4-0 beat hands down. Good luck, whichever one you choose.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I have 2 0-4-0's and 1 Annie and like them all. The annie is stronger and beautifully detailed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Johnny,

Welcome to the world of large scale. You seemed to have figured out the LS consists of several scales ranging from 1:32 to 1:20.3. If you search the archived threads you will find numerous discussions on all. Some enthusiasts mix the scales and others don’t. It’s a matter of choice and how particular you are about a 1:22 and a 1:20.3 box car running together. I run 1:20.3 engines but many of my cars are 1:24 and 1:22. To me it looks okay but to someone else it may not.

I run Bachmann mostly but I have friends that run AristoCraft. Both are fine products. However, according to several posts in the past the Buddy L engines are of poor quality. I am basing that strictly on reviews I have read. I do have a couple of Buddy L cars and they are just as good as the Bachmann. The AristoCraft engines generally require a larger turn where the Bachmann engines can maneuver a tighter curve.

A few things to consider:
What era are you looking to model?
Narrow or standard gauge?
Steam or diesel or both?
Layout size â€" diameter of curves.
Power source â€" DC â€" RC â€" DCC
Do you want finely detailed models or average detail? Big difference in price.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I have two of the "Annies"; both VERY detailed & trouble-free runners!  :rolleyes:  I don't own any Aristo locos (at least at present), so can't give you much feedback there./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Something else to consider if you're limited to R1 radius curves; consider some of the Bachmann logging locomotives :cool:
(the Shays, Heisler, & Climax).  FABULOUS DETAIL /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif (that will shame many brass locos!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif),  & EXCELLENT running qualities!   They're a bit more expensive than the "Annies" (@ $350 ~ $400 typical "street price"/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif), but will pull longer trains & climb steeper grades.  Only caution is to try to get one of the current production ("38-ton", steel-cab version) Shays; the earlier "36-ton" (wood-style cab) models had some issues with the power trucks.  (Older versions had plastic-framed trucks with marginal power pickups, newer version have DIE-CAST power trucks with heftier pickups:D).  Even at that, Bachmann has replacement die cast trucks ($109 out of TrainWorld) available to retrofit the older Shays if you get one at a bargain price.  All will track VERY WELL on R1 curves.:)                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts