G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Happy to join and hope I’m in the right place. I have questions about my train about the tree. I set it up and the transformer worked for awhile but now isn’t. I ordered one from eBay and it is not working either. The contacts on the train are clean and so is the track. Forgive me but I have little knowledge. When I hooked the transformer to the track, one lead is blue and the other red. Does it matter which side of the track it’s on? I’ll have my husband check the ohms/voltage but I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong. Thanks for any ****!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It could be the train engine. I have had 2 LGB engines lock up for whatever reason. Does the engine hum when power is applied?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be the train engine. I have had 2 LGB engines lock up for whatever reason. Does the engine hum when power is applied?
No humming. No noise at all. When I first turned on the new/used transformer it ran for maybe three secs then nothing

·
Registered
132 Posts
First, find the biggest hammer you have and your best kitchen scissors... No, not that. We can assume power in from the wall is ok if it ran for a bit. That leaves wiring to the track or perhaps dead spots in the track or engine wheels. Try applying a bit of power and GENTLY sliding the engine along the track.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You see, the wheels can be clean but power to the motor is by some sort of slider that contacts the wheels. That could be a problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can you tell us a little bit about the train setup you have? Make, model, transformer, etc.? Knowing this will help us help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you tell us a little bit about the train setup you have? Make, model, transformer, etc.? Knowing this will help us help you.
Hi! It is Santa’s personal Christmas train. The transformer says 50081 on it and the only number in the pamphlet I can find is 20130.

·
Registered
132 Posts
50081 is an LGB transformer. Is there any information molded into the underside of the engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
50081 is an LGB transformer. Is there any information molded into the underside of the engine?
I guess I should have said it is an LGB train. It’s under my tree. When I turned it on it worked for awhile. But then stopped.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have you tried using different wires?
Sometimes there's an internal break in the wires that you can't see.
I had that happen with an LGB track wire set such as this one:
I have 2 of these, so when my train didn't run, I switched over to the other terminal set, and it ran immediately.
I took the bad one apart ,and replaced the broken wire, which was actually broken inside the terminal itself !
You can use regular household wire to test the train if you don't have a second set of track wire terminals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you tried using different wires?
Sometimes there's an internal break in the wires that you can't see.
I had that happen with an LGB track wire set such as this one:
I have 2 of these, so when my train didn't run, I switched over to the other terminal set, and it ran immediately.
I took the bad one apart ,and replaced the broken wire, which was actually broken inside the terminal itself !
You can use regular household wire to test the train if you don't have a second set of track wire terminals.
I just ordered some to try that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
He has not yet. I will have him tonight
Also, in addition to checking for power at the rails (with the transformer set to full output), check the power at the transformer outputs itself to make sure it's putting out proper voltage (should be in the range of about 18-24 volts at full power).

You mentioned that the track is clean. What did you use to clean it with? It's possible track can be "clean" but still be oxidized to a point to inhibit electrical contact.

Lastly, can you get us the exact model number of the locomotive on the bottom plate of the locomotive? Many LGB locomotives have a switch near the firebox in the cab (or elsewhere) that is easy to inadvertently bump and switch the unit off. It is often as simple as just flipping this switch back into the correct position to engage the motor...... this switch is usually labeled with a "0 - 1 - 2" or "0 - 1 - 2 - 3" depending on the locomotive. Usually the last position (2 or 3) engages the motor. If you give us the exact model number we can look up the operations manual (which can usually be found here: LGB Manuals : LGB Model Trains, LGB Locomotives, Garden Train Sets, G Scale Model Trains, ) and/or someone here may know exactly off the top of their head where the switch is located and/or what steps to take next.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts