G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Aster version of a NYC Hudson looks nice and steady on the you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6HGFr6UXUM

Once you have a good fire and the water pump on it should look after it's self for half a dozen laps on a relatively large layout.
I have only ever used filtered rain water and this 'robust' engine is not too fussy what you feed into the firebox.

It is nice and realistically smelly however if you mix in a little bit of welsh coal with probably antracite!
I can't afford the cost of gas or meths now a days so solid fuel and dirty fingers are the favoured alternative....

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Outstanding!!!!!

My all time favorite standard gauge locomotive. NYC J-1's, B&A J-2's and NYC J-3's. Great to see a video devoted entirely to the Hudson.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Trevor

We will join you with another Aster NYC Conversion allowing great enjoy of an fine Aster engine and the pleasure of coal firing. This was Tom's first run of the engine we converted for him

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Posted By HampshireCountyNarrowGage on 13 Feb 2014 03:23 PM
Outstanding!!!!!

My all time favorite standard gauge locomotive. NYC J-1's, B&A J-2's and NYC J-3's. Great to see a video devoted entirely to the Hudson.

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. The Hudsons are an icon and are well recognised here in the UK.
Understandably US outline does not have the same following here as in the States, but the Hudsons have been well produced by the manufactures particularly so with the electric versions so your normal modeller is well aware.

Having said that I know of only two other coal fired versions over here, one with my good friend Geoff Calver
Wouldn't it be great to have a live steam Hudson meet in the summer here in the UK.
Perhaps we could persuade Charles to bring his Hudson?

I know of a nice quintessential English village with a quaint old pub and a private garden railway.
It might of even stopped raining by then!
All the best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts