G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am Sailing with the Navy and I will be visiting Baltimore and New york city next month and would like to know if there are any good G scale dealers in the area.

In New York I will be near docked near the fairy down town. And will be there May 24 weekend.

In Baltimore I will be Docked down town as well.

Anyone live in these areas?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Anyone live in these areas?

Quite a few of us. Give me a wave as you sail into Baltimore!

Do try to get to the B&O Museum. They have a large g-scale garden railway in the Back Yard. When will you be in Baltimore - there's a couple of meets coming up in May?

Star Hobby is a great big G-scale dealer, and well worth a visit. It's about 20 miles south of Baltimore (see chart. They don't have a dock. But I guess you could take the tender into Sandy Point State Park docks and walk? How obliging is your Capt anyway - the Baltimore harbor holding anchorage is just south of the Bay Bridge; right across from Star Hobby.)

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be in Baltimore over night of the 8th April. I will try to visit what I can while I am there. We should dock right down town and I will be limited to walking or short cab distances since I will not have wheels. Being a war ship we do not have a say where we dock as it is all pre arrange.

I will be in NYC 20th to 24th May and will have more time to see what I can and transportation is better.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
...Being a war ship we do not have a say where we dock...

Funny, I would think being a big war ship would give you a decided advantage in dictating where you dock. ;)

The B&O museum is a very short cab ride from the inner harbor. I don't know that I'd call it "walking distance." It's been a while since I've been to Klein's, (though--strangely--I dreamt about them last night. Weird.) but they're not too far from downtown, either. If you've got the time to bop in, they've got some obscure stuff that's fun to look at.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
You have to be a little careful walking around Baltimore after dark. Take a buddy or two. Know you have probably been in a few ports so you know the in's and out's. Some areas in Baltimore are rough as in any major city. Just know where you are and have a good time
N

1 - 9 of 9 Posts