G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Nice going Matt. Now what you need to do is start your daughter into making figures for your railroad. Something else to do together between fishing trips and it is a rather inexpensive approach for spending time together.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Nice job Matt. Too bad about the cane pole. I like the shot of the real you and daughter, I was thinking it would be cool if she could have worn the same color dress and did her hair the same, and you could have worn a similar color of paints as the sculptures. Then, you could have zoomed back aways from the figures revealing the your yard and taken 1 more shot, then the shot of you in your daughter dressed like the figures and crowded into that same chair :D

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Hey Jack!
Thanks. I have some other recent figures I hope to post soon. Hope to see you in chat soon...

Hi Bob!
I can't get the Sculpy out anymore without hearing at least one of the three (4,7,9 yrs) saying 'Daddy, can I make something, too?'
Emalyn (subject currently in question) has made several scultures, including a bird w/ nest and eggs, penguin, ballerina, heart and dog. She's very talented. I'll be posting them ASAP.

Thanks, Y. I love your work!

Thanks, Tom! You're one that got me started on this portion of our fantastic hobby - seeing all of your great ideas you bring to life.
    (I can show her because she's only nine:rolleyes:)

Thank you Richard!  I wasn't sure how the butternut would weather, anyway, so I think I'll make the next one out of cedar. I found that the wife's hair looked like scale fishing line./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif
The figures will eventually be used in a turn of the century layout, so I didn't have much luck in the way of matching. I found that those are about the only brown pants I own. You can't really tell from that shot, but  the figure's hair is also braided. I asked, but she doesn't have a pink dress anyhthing like the figure's. Besides, it was about 20 degrees, so I'm not sure she would have had the right attitude. ;) In hind sight, I like your idea, and wish I had taken the pics with the figures in one of the chairs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I finally got around to making an engineer and fireman for my Bachmann Climax. The engineer's name is Matt and the fireman's is Casey. Don't ask me why, it just seemed right at the time they were being finished. The heads (faces) seem to have a mind of their own while I'm trying to shape something that wouldn't scare the heck out of everyone.:)

You'll notice the feet aren't complete, as I had to be able to maneuver them into place. I did notice the seats in the Climax were awfully high, so I removed and then lowered them. I think they are still a bit too high for scale, but the figures were already mostly built, so I sort of fudged a little on that./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

I also didn't go into a lot of detail, as most of it would never be seen, and I'm not very good at it anyway. At least it isn't a runaway train with no one in it any more!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif

Matt..

Casey..

Back view. The engineer may seem a little small, but he is a feisty ole cuss!

Matt, busy checking ahead for the next run.

Likewise, Casey is doing the same for his side.

I'm checking on both of them to make sure they aren't goofing off!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif

That concludes my entry for the contest.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Nice figures, Bob! Lot's of character;)
I haven't made one for my Climax, yet but if it's anything like the engineer I made for the Connie, he will have to be a contortionist!:D   I understand your lack of feet.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It's voting time!

All the entries are at http://www.outsidetrains.com/mls/NYfigures08.html

A summary of the rules:

1. Even if you entered a figure, you can judge, you just can't judge your own.
2. The only people excluded from judging are Jack and myself.
3. Judges have to use a 10 point judging system. No negative points
4. You can judge 1 or all of the entries
5. You must include the name of the entry, the points you are giving the entry and a brief (or long) explanation on why you think this person deserves those points.
6. Judging will be conducted over a 7 day period and Jack and I will tally the points, deducted any from entries that don't meet the guidelines discussed previously and announce the first and second place winners 4 days after the judging stops.

Glad I thought to make a page. None have been lost in the server disaster and recovery.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
How to score? Well, I can't quite bring myself to take points off, so everybody starts with a 5 and I'll add points for things I like.

1 BnEgscale - Christmas engagement on park bench.  8
+1 for cute scene
+1 for seasonal theme
+1 for explaining techniques

2 BnEgscale - Santa on a train 7
+1 for seasonal theme
+1 for natural pose

3 Gaétan - Air guitar 10 /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
+1 for self portrait
+1 for exelent sculpting
+1 for nuttyness
+1 for realistic pose
+1 for explaining technique, but you might have to see the old forum

4 Gene Walker - Gene Walker 9
+1 for self portrait
+1 for great likeness
+1 for the glasses
+1 for matching outfit

5 Flattracker - Engine crew 5

6 Matt Vogt - Fishing with daughter 7
+1 for self portrait
+1 for daughter's portrait

7 Rick Raively - Snoopy and Woodstock 6 - I love "Peanuts"
+1 for seasonal theme

8 Torby - Christmas Carolers
Na... I'm not going to give that brat a score/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

9 Torby - Whose birthday is it, anyhow?
That guy again?

10 Yolanda 8
+1 Seasonal
+1 Incredible beard
+1 Great detail on costume

11 Yolanda - Mrs Clause 7
+1 Seasonal
+1 Overall Mrs. Clause appearance

I feel like I zonked Flattracker/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Thanks for starting off the scoring Tom,
JUST A NOTE,
- you can not score your own piece
- you can not give negative points. Jack and I will deduct the necessary points for those entries that did not follow the guidelines.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Gaetan,
I've read them already, and I'm pretty sure Jack did since we both discussed using that putty you used.... say, might be a nice idea to repost the name of that product at least, so anyone interested in using it won't have to dig through the archives.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ok...I'll jump in. First off, all of these entries are *way* beyond my skill level. Closest I've come to this sort of thing is painting up some unpainted slot car figures I aquired a while back, and while I didn't do a completely terrible job...lets just say its a good thing those folks are going to be hidden away in a passenger car for the most part where onlookers will really have to strain themselves to get a good look.

Because of that, all the contestants get a starting base of 5 points. I award points for two other main items: level of detail, and 'story element' - is the figure engaged in an activity that I can find believable or interesting in that context.

BnEgscale 1) Christmas engagement on bench. Couple kissing, package next to the guy. Good detail, believable scene...
+8

BnEgscale 2) Santa on Locomotive. Good detail, particularly with the glasses...but the context just doesn't work for me.
+6

Gaetan - Man playing air guitar in front of mirror. Self potrait, excellent detail, believable scene. (I actually know some kids like this).
+8

Gene Walker - 'We Willy', self potrait, man with coffee cup. Very high level of detail - this really impressed me. No real story element, but I'd have no trouble imagining a guy like this posed on a porch or some such.
+8

Flattracker - pair of Engineers for Bachmann Climax - 'Matt' and 'Casey'. Detail is good, they fit where their supposed to go, but aside from that, they don't really do anything for me.
+5

Matt Vogt - Self potrait with daughter out fishing. Detail is good (allowing for missing fishing pole), very good 'story element', so on that basis...
+7

Rick Raively - Snoopy and Woodstock; snoopy playing Santa, with Woodstock done up as a reindeer. Good whimsical concept, but lacking a bit in the fine details.
+6

Torby 1) Four Christmas Carolers. (rule violation?). Detail very good, quality of singing obviousely low. Characters very expressive.
+8

Torby 2) Whose Birthday is it? - Santa in a nativity scene. A definite story element with good detail, but it just doesn't seem to 'fit'.
+5

Yolanda 1) Santa handing over a candy cane to a little girl. Detail good (though little girl is storebought figure) with a clear story element.
+7

Yolanda 2) Misses Claus going over the 'List'. Believable in context, detail work passable.
+7

Well, thats my contribution. Vic...your up next. Or maybe Blackburn.

I better leave before I get lynched.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.