G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is R Kapuaala's figure contest.

I've collected all the entries here: http://www.outsidetrains.com/mls/NYfigures08.html I went back to the archive to see if I've missed anything.

-------------------------

Thanks Tom, that is very handy indeed. BTW, I noticed after reviewing a few of the entries that they do not meet all the requirements of the entries. There are some fine entries that I would NOT like to see disqualified because they don't meet the complete description of an entry.

I would also like to invite folks to begine scoring.
Remember, we need to use a 10 point vote system 1 being interesting 10 being interesting,
technically challenging,
artistically pleasing,
original,
Captures the holiday theme
People scoring the sculptures would need to qualify their scores with a brief description of how they arrived at their numerical value.
I know that sounds a little anal, but I want to be as fair as possible to all entries.

----

The rules:
[*]The contest will be from today, till January 25th and judging ends January 31st [*]The contestants must not be Chris Wallas or anyone who produces commercial figures or anyone related to me by marriage or blood [*]To enter you must post an image of your best seasonal figure (Xmas, hanaka, qwanza, makahiki, etc...) or your best self portrait to this topic. [*]All entries must include a short description of the materials used, the season they represent or why the contestant feels it is a good likeness of themselves. [*]Any entry lacking the appropriate description will have 10 points shaved off their over all score. [*]Contestants may enter no more than 3 figures [*]Judges will be anyone who reads this topic whether they be animal, vegetable or mineral [*]Judges will rate each image and assign a value of 1 - 10 based on what ever critera you want to use as long as there are no zeros, because in my own opinion there are not zeros where art is concerned. [*]It would be nice if judges explain why they are giveing a certain score to a piece [*]Judges must use the quote option when judging a piece so there can be no confusion what piece they are judging [*]Contestantants may not judge their own pieces [*]On January 25th  I will review all entries and votes, add them up, and then announce the winner on this topic by January 31st . [/list]

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Ughh! Are we scoring already? I was under the impression that we had until 1/16/08 to post an entry, so I assumed (I know:cool:)  that we wouldn't begin voting until then. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voting ends Jan 11.

Better hurry and get your entry done/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Due to my getting sick and having two birthdays to prepare for (I make my gifts, I also do woodwork) I am withdrawing from the contest.  With the contest deadline being the 11th and the two birthdays being the 10th and 19th, I do not feel that I can complete everything.  Sorry/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif   However, the contest is a great idea /Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/lightbulb.gif and I wish all the contestants good luck /Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif.

Becky

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you have to withdraw if you haven't made an entry.

Hope you're feeling better or the birthdays might not be much fun.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hey Guys!
I have almost finished another figure! 
It is the first I have done in over a year!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
I know that there are lots of flaws, but it was a lot harder to have to keep stopping to figure out what Jason needed!:D
 now I used the normal Walas way of making her! ( big suprise there huh?) and I think she turn out well enough to post! I still need to get some better pics of her but have to wait until Steve gets home for that!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue2.gif

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Ms.pcentral/figures/mrs%20c.jpg

and have to figure out how to post it picture itself!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Hello all, If its all right with everyone, I would like to change the deadline for entries. I would like to do this because:

1. The site has changed and all the past post appear to be archived.
2. Some folks want more time (Understandable)
3. The original rules were modified some what (The word figure should refer to a Large Scale sculpture which can contain 1 or more figures as well as props)
4. There isn't enough time to judge the final entries in the orginal rules

With that in mind, I am going to set the final date for entries at January 25th Judging will be done at anytime, but will end January 31st. Jack and I will review all entries to make sure they include the necessaary information (see the rules for posted by Torby to make sure you understand what is required) and tally up the scores for all entries. Remeber 10 points get shaved off for not including the necessary information as described in the rules so check your entries.

BTW: Thanks Tom for reposting this here. :D

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Y, Nice job on the new lady. Did you make the Day Care building in the background or is that a store bought item. It sure is cute.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y, I added your new lady to the web page. I'll change it when you get better photos and the baby gives you a chance :D

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
That works well for me too. As it look like I'll be out of town and out of touch quite a bit between now and the 24th of January.
Also I have limited access to email so if anyone is trying to get in touch with me, Email through the forum would be the best way.

Jack

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Bob,
Since it may be a bit before Y gets a chance to respond, I'll do it for her. The building is made by Dept 56 and is the "Peppermint Porch Daycare" from the Snow Village line. The picture was taken on our Snow Village Christmas display.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to vote or not?! While there have been some really neat entries posted I'm sorry but my vote goes to Y's Santa and Mrs. Claus figures. Not just because I'm married to her either! When she made the Santa figure it was instantly one of my favorites of all that she has made. He just has that right feel to him. Mrs. Claus was an instant favorite when I saw it too. There are alot of details that are somewhat lost in photos on her, from the slightly irredescent(sp?) white trim on the dress to the actual family names on "The List" she is holding!

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Steve,

I'm not sure you can vote for your wifes piece, but if you could, you would need to use the point system 1 to 10. For the sake of clarity, lets call it scoring. I probably said voting originally or in some follow up, but I meant scoring. That way you can vote on several pieces, as long as they are not your own, or your relatives and immediate families.

BTW:

We are having a spot of foul weather here on the Central Coast of CA and my generator went out yesterday, and all the other generators in the stores sold out immediately.

I woke up early this morning and tore my old generator down, but could not find the problem. I lucked out though and was able to buy a second generator which is now running. My access to the internet, and your access to my site, might be temporarily interrupted every 9 hours or so. and if this last more than a another day then every twenty hours to change filters plugs and oil according to the users manual /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Ok I finally was able to take some better pics!:D
I hope you like her! 
The hair was made with an entruding press, and the texture of the dress was a handle of a dentral tool! I think other that than it was similar as I can get to Chris' method. 
I chose to made a Mrs. Claus, to go with Santa, She has the list and has been checking it twice! (Santa forgot his glasses) At the top of the List is Jason, and then on the folds down toward the bottom are my littlest sister and my niece, Steve's name and mine are on it too!  Ok, I think that covers everything!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Y

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Y

Where are the pics you said you took?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Have you evber tried a garlic press for hair.  It puts out some really neat squiggles./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Becky

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Richard,

I figured I wouldn't be allowed a vote or score and that is exactly why I didn't include one in my last post, just in case.;) 

Becky,

Y said she couldn't figure out how to get the pics to post yet and I haven't even tried yet. Maybe tomorrow./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wathcing closely for your new photos!

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
I've found that you can copy an image from an html by right clicking on the image. Then, if you use the reply option on the posts, and not the quick reply at the bottom of the page, you can paste the image right in the textarea without inserting BBC code or html.
Also, I've found that BBC code no longer works, where as html does.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Morning/afternoon/evening;

Thought I'd better get my entry in while I was thinking about it.

Wee Willy goes in the self portrait category.  He was built using the Chris Walas technique, meaning Sculpy over an aluminum foil armature.  incidently, it takes a lot of baking for a figure this size.  And the Brian Fayles painting method.  I've includes an image of the prototype for comparision.  Willy's beard is better trimmed and his belly is smaller but, he's a fair likeness. 

Over on the GN15.info forum, Michael Mott showed a few pictures of his developing 30mm 1/10 scale models and that inspired me to build Willy in 1/10.

Willy is the first figure I've shown here, one of these days I'll get around to posting some of the 1/20th guys.

Gene Walker

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Gene

That is a very good likeness./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  Well done!!/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/Fck/FCKeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif

Becky

1 - 20 of 60 Posts