G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Home Depot today, and saw this stuff on display. It's a tile underlayment similar to Hardi-backer and Fiberock, but looks to be plastic or foam based instead of cement. It's got some flexibility to it, and is available in 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses. Has anyone tried using it? If so, how was it to work with? I thought about picking up a piece just to experiment with, but I've got enough on my workbench right now, so I figured I'd ask here to see what others' experiences might be.

Later,

K

· Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: "New" wall material?

It's around $10 for a 3' x 5' sheet. It's definitely a lighter weight material than the other backer boards, far closer to bluefoam with a thick skin. The problem I'm running into is that my usual favorite, Fiberock, isn't carried by the big-box guys anymore. While I found a local contracting supplier that has it, I'm reluctant to recommend it in an article if it's going to become harder to find. Hardi-Backer is more prevalent, but much more difficult to work wtih in terms of cutting it to shape.

Later,

K

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.