G Scale Model Train Forum banner

New Tunnel and Bridge going in.

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Jerry Barnes 
#1 ·
Got a good start on putting in my new tunnel and bridge, after tearing out the old one that was rotting, due to the leaky waterfall above it. Leveled in the dual track tunnel and got it set.

Then on to setting the landscape blocks in for the dual track bridge.

Hopefully, I'll get in the abutments at the other end tomorrow.

See less See more
#7 ·
I got the Trex ladder system in. The white pipes are to run cords up to the filter.

Another angle. The abutment is set for the bridge.

The bridge set in, it was not as dominant looking as I feared. The black paint helped. It is made of 1/2' steel, welded by a buddy.

Other end.

I made a step at each end with smaller blocks, had not planned that, but it sure helps. Here's a view from across the layout.

Now, if the weather holds I can relay the track on the outside loop for some winter runs. Will do the inner loop/switches in the
spring, after we do the new waterfall.

#13 ·
Hmm, thought I had replied to this, but don't see it on here. Thanks for your kind comments!

Bridge is 14' long and 14" wide. Have some major track/switch work to do, if the weather improves again, may get back at it. Will have the outside loop going for sure for some winter runs. Ron Senek helped me some, when he was here, on how to tie the inner and outer loops together. Thanks RON!

G
#19 ·
like Marty does,,,,like Marty does,,,,like Marty does,,,,like Marty does,,,,like Marty does,,,,Just messin with ya Marty he he he
also as usual great work Jerry, bridge and tunnel and your whole layout look great... also did you know there was another Jerry Barnes on this site??????? were going to have to start calling you guys Jerry#1 AND Jerry #2 HA HA HA
Nick..

#21 ·
Weather finally improved for some ballasting and getting a run in with the battery powered McKeen car. All went well. Few adjustments need to be made. Will get a small movie on youTube later, if I have time.
Here's the McKeen car going over the bridge on the outer loop, inner loop is not hooked up yet.

Coming out of the new tunnel. Trex ladder will be put in here next spring, is in on the other side of the bridge. The waterfall pond will be

on top of the tunnel, hope it does not leak!

#23 ·
Quite a few topics on it in the track forum. 'ladder' is the word to use to search for this topic. Did you do a search? I ripped down the Trex(plastic decking material) into 3/4 by 1 1/2 strips. Used some solid trex for blocks in between that were the size of the plastic pipe I put in the ground to hold it. I used a bulb drill bit to get the plastic pipe down about 30" to prevent frost heave. Everything is screwed together with deck screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.