G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since moving to Seattle I've been dependant on others for track time but not any more! My friend Richard and his son Jamie visited from the UK for a few days and, as both are train fanatics, I put them to work. We didn't quite finish before their return but got far enough to run some trains.

The nature of my yard forced a dog bone design with a long straight alongsdie the rear fence. I've got a lot of work to do now to fix the landscaping, add sidings etc but it is great to have somewhere to run steam trains.

http://www.youtube.com/v/xFx2itVo0OY

Robert

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Robert,

Looks like a great new track. Very impressive on-board runs show the wonderful extent of the layout behind some impressive motive power.

I see you covered a portion of the wood decking. What did you use, and what was your reasoning for doing part of it?

I'm glad you are back in business.

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Robert,
Nice design. I really like your long run in the back near the fence. Having a track in the back is a real plus and allows you to run anytime day or night in any weather, unless of course you get diverted by unrelated chores as I often do. I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun with it. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
IMPRESSIVE!
Looks fantastic! How long is the straight section? (and how long is the track all in all?)
The film on the engines shows that you have put some effort in laying the tracks without bumps and kinks. Nice job.

Regards
David Clement

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By David_DK on 10/25/2008 6:56 AM
IMPRESSIVE!
Looks fantastic! How long is the straight section? (and how long is the track all in all?)
The film on the engines shows that you have put some effort in laying the tracks without bumps and kinks. Nice job.

Regards
David Clement

The two end loops are 20 ft+ diameter and the back straight is about 150ft for a total length of around 440 ft or 2.6 scale miles at 1:32. The Allegheny was lapping in about 5 minutes or about 30 mph which is still on the fast side!

I used rough cut cedar for the base and covered this with roofing felt more for appearance than utitlity - although this is Seattle and it does rain an awful lot :-( The most useful tool was a laser level which cost about $45. I checked the end to end elevation with a borrowed thedolite and it is within 1/2 inch.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 10/25/2008 6:31 PM
Robert,
NICE setup, if we ever move from here, I want to put in that type of elevated line. Are the 4x4's just set into the deck type concrete blocks?

Yes - this is a new home and, in classic building style, they laid about 6 inches of top soil on top of a very hard subsoil so I reasoned the blocks weren't going anywhere. In one case I hit concrete which is why I couldn't get the block under the surface! The only challenge with this approach is the 4x4s are attatched to the block by a bracket which is welded to a piece of 1 inch pipe which, in turn, is embedded in the concrete. This pipe allows some flexing of the post.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts