G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im trying to get started in large scale trains but i cant seem to get past what the scale really is. I've searched everywhere and tried to use the search feature here but with little luck. I understand that 1 gauge and G-scale are not the same but they are kinda. What I got from what I've found is they run on the same size track but the modes aren't quite to scale? Like an MTH rail king dash 8 is 1:32 scale but an aristo-craft dash9 or a USA trains SD70 mac are both 1:29 scale. Could I run those together or would the scale difference be way to much and not look right?

Thanks for your help, I just want to make sure i understand whats going on before I start buying a bunch of stuff to later find out it wont work.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Speaking as a total outsider...

The "correct" scale for Gauge 1 track is 1:32 , however it is common for US manufacturers to use 1:29 for mainline std gauge locos. At the other end of the Spectrum(!) are the narrow gauge manufacturers who use 1:20.3. There are several scales that run on Gauge 1 track depending on manufacturer and the prototype requirements. If you are modelling US mainline equipment then 1:29 is probably going to be your scale of choice.

I personally do not "mix and match" scales.

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
There is a difference between scale and gauge and their relationship when comparing say O-scale with Large Scale.

In O-scale the scale is more-or-less fixed at 1:48 but the gauge of the track can vary from O to On30 to On3.

In Large scale the track gauge is fixed at 45mm (Gauge 1) but the scale can fluctuate. If you are modeliing US standard gauge, the trains should be ~1:32 but some manufacturers such as USA Trains have varied this to 1:29. US 3' narrow gauge is 1:20. European meter scale is 1:22.5.

You can run 1:32 and 1:29 equipment together, there is only a 10% difference in size. If the difference bothers you, then don't run them together, if not, then run them together. It will be after all, your railroad. You might find a well stocked model train store and see both 1:32 and 1:29 equipment together or visit a layout and see if you like the look, especially before spending large sums of money and find you don't like the mix of scales.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
There have been fights over this

45mm is almost exactly 1:32 of 56 1/2 inches. Why 1:29 then? Well.... Um....

Sometimes differing scales can look odd together. "Why is that coach taller than..." The trick is to keep them separate. If your 1:32 train is on one side of the layout, and the 1:29 on the other, nobody will notice. People with calipers are invited out 

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies, So its safe to say that since i will be running American equipment 1:29 is going to be the most common? And there isnt going to be a difference in the track size since i could run 1:32 or 1:29th on the same rails unless its narrow guage ?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By RRwannabe on 01/20/2009 11:51 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, So its safe to say that since i will be running American equipment 1:29 is going to be the most common? And there isnt going to be a difference in the track size since i could run 1:32 or 1:29th on the same rails unless its narrow guage ?

Sir, they ALL run on the same 45mm gauge track - Gauge 1, 1/29th, 1/24th, 1/22.5 and 1/20.3.

Look down the threads for an explanation.

I heartily wish that those diagrams posted the other day in response to a question like this were made into a sticky.

And Welcome!!!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Most American newer mainline is either by USA or Aristo-Craft. They are 1/29th. MTH makes some in 1/32nd . LGB had some, but is no longer made and pricey, if you can find it not sure of it's scale. . Used to be Great Trains, but they were 1/32nd, as was Roberts Lines-although he does have a streamliner loco now in 1/29.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Yes, it's safe to say that for standard gauge on 45mm track, 1:29 will be the most common, to answer a simple question simply.

If you have lots of $$ you could go 1:32, between Aster, Accucraft, and MTH, you can find almost everything you would want, but you might not believe how much some of the 1:32 stuff costs, and the "museum quality" stuff often is not really good outdoors on less than PERFECT (and I do mean PERFECT) track.

If you run narrow gauge, you use the same gauge track and then the scale changes to 1:20.3, and the stuff does not look right side by side. No one makes 1:29 narrow gauge, locos or track. There is some 1:20.3 standard gauge, but $$ again and no track.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I am going to be a lone voice crying in the wilderness, but 1:29 scale is STUPID. It is WRONG, It is a sign of MEDIOCRITY, It is a off in scale VOLUME by THIRTY PERCENT (not just 10%... but 10% too wide, 10% too tall, and 10% too long... a difference of 30 PERCENT in VOLUME). It is a sorry state of affairs that 1:29 is the most common scale for Standard Gauge.

There I said it, and I'm proud!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 01/20/2009 1:22 PM
I am going to be a lone voice crying in the wilderness, but 1:29 scale is STUPID. It is WRONG, It is a sign of MEDIOCRITY, It is a off in scale VOLUME by THIRTY PERCENT (not just 10%... but 10% too wide, 10% too tall, and 10% too long... a difference of 30 PERCENT in VOLUME). It is a sorry state of affairs that 1:29 is the most common scale for Standard Gauge.

There I said it, and I'm proud!

Yes and it's all LGB's fault! If their quirky narrow gauge stuff hadn't been so popular there wouldn't have been the need to make proper trains too big for the track so that they wouldn't look small in comparison! :D

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I sort of agree about 1:29, it's dumb, and I have almost all 1:29 stuff, I've even modeled stuff in 1:29 and now I'm committed to it. It always looks a little cartoonish. I can see why aristo went with it though. It looks big, it "pops" visually in a way that 1:32 does not. It's comical to see an LGB starter set steamer next to a 1:29 pacific, and how ridiculously big the LGB 0-4-0 looks: a mainline, standard gauge loco should dwarf an LGB 0-4-0. You could argue the point is perfect reproduction of the real world at a given scale, which is what modelers want, or you could argue that the goal is an interesting visual effect, which is less about accuracy than it is about impact. Both are possible, and all in all I wish 1:29 had never been adopted. On the other and, I manage to have a lot of fun in 1:29 and the neighbors and friends who come to our layout don't care.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link George, allot of useful info there. Are there any 1 gauge inter-modal well cars out there that are still in production? I like allot of MTH cars and that arent much more than any one else but I must have some stack cars :)

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Some, some LGB stuff is a different scale in each of the 3 dimensions.

Actually, the only thing that looks funny on 1:29 is the sideframes being too narrow compared to the body. Everything else is in proper proportion on 99% of the Aristo and USAT stuff. (except the Aristo shorty streamliners).

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Posted By Savannah Railway Co. on 01/20/2009 3:39 PM
so are LGB locos 1:22.5?

Some are. Some are not.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Unfortunatly we have what we have. When I started I was really bothered by all the different scales in G but rather than fight city hall I formulated a plan when running the layout.
For standard gauge I will run 1:29 and 1:24 scale together but not in the same place or sided by side. For a narrow gauge run I will run 1:20.3 and 1:22 again like standard gauge.
It would be nice to have them correct but they aren't.
And above all welcome to the forum, great place to get information.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts