G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have enabled the new text editor with image functions on the testing forum for everyone to try. I've done quite a bit of testing, but I can't cover all situations, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would give it a try and make a post or two in this forum. Try out some of the options. Also try out the insert image dialog. I'm quite please with how this is turning out.

The editor is also enabled on private messages and blogs.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Del Tapparo on 09/12/2008 4:54 PM
http://www.gscalegraphics.net/

Well, it looks like it does everything I need! This will be a great addition to MLS I don't see any means of changing the font, but that's a good thing. People changing the size will be annoying enough.

And yet, YOU changed the font size!

There are lots of annoying things that CAN be done, but most of them CAN serve a purpose.
Even though most folk don't recognize how annoying it is.
Well, right, middle and Left justification seem to work. I sure hope nobody uses that feature.

Have to say I don't like the operation of the spell checker. I highlighted just MY text but it checked the whole page, but some of the words it didn't like, (like "deltaparo" and the "gscalegraphics" website name, were off the edit window at the time (and the edit window cannot be scrolled at that point) I could not see the context of the "possibly misspelled" word. Still, a spell checker is better than none... assuming people use it. (We also need a grammar checker that will warn when people confuse THEN & THAN and miss typing the "R" in YOUR.)

I like the word and character counts in the lower right corner, even though it is a bit slow to update (probably can't be helped).

I'd like some explanation of the options in the lower left corner... I am a bit timid to just go clicking them with abandon. I will have to try the "Help" ("?") button some time BEFORE I have a lot of blathering typed in... I fear losing it all if I go clicking on unknown items.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is the new editor just for first class. I am getting errors if I try the Bold, Italic, Underline and justify buttons. The only other buttons are Normal, HTML and preview at the bottom. And no curser in the box. That was with Firefox 3.0.1 and Windows XP. IE 7 was not much better. I could type in IE 7 but no more buttons. I am sending this with the "Quick Reply"

I am able to edit my message. I can use the div button to change the color. But still no image buttons.

Second try at editing all my text would disappear from window in Firefox. This edit with IE7.

After restarting Firefox I can edit again.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Fantastic! It will be so much easier posting pics and such.

Even auto-sizing! Wahoo!!
I'm not sure what happened to my Description I put in, though. I reopened the image box, added the description to the long description box, but you can't scroll down to the bottom of the window to choose the 'OK' button, so it doesn't change anything.

Of course, that's small potatoes, compared to the benefits.

Thanks for the time you've spent, Shad!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the new editor just for first class. I am getting errors if I try the Bold, Italic, Underline and justify buttons. The only other buttons are Normal, HTML and preview at the bottom. And no curser in the box. That was with Firefox 3.0.1 and Windows XP. IE 7 was not much better. I could type in IE 7 but no more buttons. I am sending this with the "Quick Reply"

Yes, the advanced features of the editor are for 1st class members only. I've found that if you start typing before the editor fully loads in firefox, you start to get those weird errors.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 09/12/2008 5:23 PM

There are lots of annoying things that CAN be done, but most of them CAN serve a purpose.
Well, right, middle and Left justification seem to work. I sure hope nobody uses that feature.

Have to say I don't like the operation of the spell checker. I highlighted just MY text but it checked the whole page, but some of the words it didn't like, (like "deltaparo" and the "gscalegraphics" website name, were off the edit window at the time (and the edit window cannot be scrolled at that point) I could not see the context of the "possibly misspelled" word. Still, a spell checker is better than none... assuming people use it. (We also need a grammar checker that will warn when people confuse THEN & THAN and miss typing the "R" in YOUR.)

I like the word and character counts in the lower right corner, even though it is a bit slow to update (probably can't be helped).

I'd like some explanation of the options in the lower left corner... I am a bit timid to just go clicking them with abandon. I will have to try the "Help" ("?") button some time BEFORE I have a lot of blathering typed in... I fear losing it all if I go clicking on unknown items.

If you don't experiment, you'll never figure out the different features. That's why it's here in the testing forum. So you members can figure out the new features without "losing anything important". I'll leave it here in the testing forum for the next week till everyone gets comfortable with it, then we'll move it out across all the other forums. I do however plan on putting together a small tutorial to show people how to use some of the different features.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Posted By Matt Vogt on 09/12/2008 6:13 PM
Fantastic! It will be so much easier posting pics and such.

Even auto-sizing! Wahoo!!
I'm not sure what happened to my Description I put in, though. I reopened the image box, added the description to the long description box, but you can't scroll down to the bottom of the window to choose the 'OK' button, so it doesn't change anything.

Of course, that's small potatoes, compared to the benefits.

Thanks for the time you've spent, Shad!

I'm not sure what the "long description" box is for. If we don't identify anything that it really does, we'll do away with it altogether.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Shad,

I tried using the new editor for posting pictures and I'm confused about that aspect. There are two buttons for adding images-one is photo gallery and the other is insert image. The INSERT IMAGE button doesn't show all the images in my First Class website. The GALLERY button shows them all, but no place to add text. Also no PREVIEW. What am I doing wrong?

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Posted By gary Armitstead on 09/12/2008 8:06 PM
Shad,

I tried using the new editor for posting pictures and I'm confused about that aspect. There are two buttons for adding images-one is photo gallery and the other is insert image. The INSERT IMAGE button doesn't show all the images in my First Class website. The GALLERY button shows them all, but no place to add text. Also no PREVIEW. What am I doing wrong?

The Image Gallery button is just like pasting a file into a Word document - i.e. you click the button, click the image you want to insert, and it pastes it in at the current cursor location. Hitting the "End" key or clicking somewhere after the photo will allow you to hit enter and continue adding text to the post as well as subsequent images.

The Insert Image shows the folder tree of your 1st Class web space allowing you to navigate to an image (assuming you already know where it is). When you click the image filename, the image is shown in the image preview window at upper right. Clicking the "Insert" button will insert the image at the current cursor location.

The Preview button for the entire post isn't located on either of these image control panels, but rather on the "Add Reply toolbar itself - fourth from the right.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By ShadsTrains on 09/12/2008 7:25 PM
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 09/12/2008 5:23 PM

If you don't experiment, you'll never figure out the different features. That's why it's here in the testing forum. So you members can figure out the new features without "losing anything important". I'll leave it here in the testing forum for the next week till everyone gets comfortable with it, then we'll move it out across all the other forums. I do however plan on putting together a small tutorial to show people how to use some of the different features.

WHAT! !!! Are you implying that I might type anything that is NOT important?????

OH... well... never mind! Like I said, I will have to experiment BEFORE I start typing... okay, so I failed to do so this time, too.

We also need a grammar checker that will help folk use, to, too, & two correctly, as well as: there, their & they're.

How about one that eliminates vitriol, and libelous comments?

Then we need one that removes idiotic blathering... oh wait, that would delete all my posts. (Forget that one!)

WOW, putting the image in was sure easy!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
OK, I'll bite. This could create some Nightmare posts.
Got my thumbnail problem fixed. Helps to pay attention to what your doing sometimes.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Tried to us the create thumbnail option in the "insert image" icon and the previous post is the result.

This is what is should look like.

Kevin using Firefox 3.0.1

If I have my layout open for the 2010 convention this sign will be posted.

Edit works OK

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Matt Vogt on 09/12/2008 6:13 PM
«snip...» I'm not sure what happened to my Description I put in, though. I reopened the image box, added the description to the long description box, «snip...»

Matt[/i]

HTML image tag, longdesc Attribute (Long Description):
The longdesc attribute specifies the URL of a page that contains a (long) description of the image. This attribute is used for browsers that do not support images (like text only browsers or non-visual browsers).
HTML image tag, alt="" Attribute (Title):
This attribute is used when the user for some reason cannot see the image. This could be because of a slow connection, an error in the image URL, or the user could be using a text-only or non-visual browsers. Using this attribute will also display the text in a tool-tip window when the mouse is hovered over the image.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
The following is a 'Thumbnail' image (i.e. t__147314pr.jpg) made from the original image (i.e. 147314pr.jpg) notice that the new image created has an prefix of 't__' appended to the original file name. The thumbnail is also a link to the larger image, so if you click the thumbnail the larger image will open in a new browser window.

[*] Open the Insert Image tool.
[*] Select image to make thumbnail of.
[*] Use Auto-Thumbnail tool (upper-right of Insert Image dialog).
[*] Locate and select new thumbnail image file in Insert Image dialog.
[*] Insert image in reply.
[*] Re-open Insert Image dialog, locate and select original image.
[*] Select and copy text in URL field to the clipboard.
[*] Close Insert Image Dialog.
[*] Select thumbnail image in reply.
[*] Click Insert Hyperlink tool.
[*] Paste image address from clipboard into URL field of Insert Hyperlink dialog.
[*] Click the OK button.
[/list]

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Posted By ShadsTrains on 09/12/2008 4:44 PM
I have enabled the new text editor with image functions on the testing forum for everyone to try. I've done quite a bit of testing, but I can't cover all situations, so I'd appreciate it if everyone would give it a try and make a post or two in this forum. Try out some of the options. Also try out the insert image dialog. I'm quite please with how this is turning out.

The editor is also enabled on private messages and blogs.

Darn it!
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOURCE BUTTON IN THE MESSAGE EDITOR!

That was the ONLY way I could get stuf from the editor to the regular forums.
pictures - don't understand...IInsert image. I put the url in the box and sett a borderr reen a width 5 and go a red x.
Indent not working correctly.

HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET THE NICE QUOTE yellow box

heading
:
  1. one
  2. two
  3. three
    1. sub1
    1. sub2 what happend to (b)
    four
Continue text here

past here
09/12/2008 4:03 PM Quote Alert Posted By gdancer on 09/12/2008 9:12 AM
Jimtyp... Bob's most recent--plus his earlier--comments are deadly.
" border=0> If Bob can't fix something, it can't be fixed. (OTOH, his standards are extremely high because his knowledge and skills are equally high!).
" border=0>
It sounds as if there is no decoder that will work satisfactorily with the K.
" border=0> H/e, you indicated earlier that you were quite satisified with the K on DCC (which is what I operate on). What kind of decoder did you use? Did you install it yourself?

http://www.28thnngc.com/gallery/long/large-1.html

picture

1 - 20 of 59 Posts