G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Wow, very nice looking! (Once those brass cylinders are blackened, at least.)

The text says it will be available early in 2009.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Hmmmm almost 2,000 US for a kit 2,400 for a built model.

It better be gold. Otherwise it does look nice. I assumed it would have the wobblers as it was always listed in the easy line. Too bad it didnt have a nice slide valve motor. It would have been very useful for modelers as a seperate part.

·
Registered
96 Posts
According to xe.com, the prices convert to $1275 and $1660 for kits and built ups respectively. I just bought a Chaloner and have been very pleased with its initial performance. It ran quite nicely striaght from the box and has improved greatly over several break in runs. The Shay looks like it will be another nice product from Regner.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Posted By Kovacjr on 10/22/2008 8:51 PM
Hmmmm almost 2,000 US for a kit 2,400 for a built model.

It better be gold. Otherwise it does look nice. I assumed it would have the wobblers as it was always listed in the easy line. Too bad it didnt have a nice slide valve motor. It would have been very useful for modelers as a seperate part.

Sir - Graham Engineering make a BEEEEEYYOOOTIFUL twin-cylinder steam engine in kit form that would look the part as a Shay motor. In fact, I seem to recall that David Bailey made a kit based on this premise. You can see the advert for the engine in any copy of GR for the last many years

As for the Regner offering, well, AFAIC, my hands will stay firmly in my pockets.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
"Sir - Graham Engineering make a BEEEEEYYOOOTIFUL twin-cylinder steam engine in kit form that would look the part as a Shay motor. In fact, I seem to recall that David Bailey made a kit based on this premise. You can see the advert for the engine in any copy of GR for the last many years"

Yes I know the Graham motor, the only one in production now is the 2 cyl motor that would suit a Class A Climax, the Shay motor was discontinued until they redrew it up with proper bushings for the crankshaft. They ran into excessive wear on the Shay motor from dirt /dust and running at higher pressures then they recommend (35PSI)

On to the price - Apparently I forgot the Regner prices were Euros and not Pounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Posted By steamtom1 on 10/23/2008 6:30 AM
Here is a picture of my old Geoffbuilt Shay with a Graham motor. It is not as strong as the old wobbler that it came with, but it sure does look better. That is Mr. Shay's house in the background.

At one time, I supplied the cylinders for the Geoffbuilt Shay, so it should perform at least as well as Jerrry's - which also has my cylinders.

Mike Chaney - now blissfully retired from cylinder making.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Jerry,

I didn't expect any credit, so don't worry about it. The point I was trying to make was that Ossies are Good - and often better than the same sized fixed cylinder because the valve gear is so simple.

Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.