G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
The valve gear, crosshead and crosshead supports are quite heavy and boxy on the model. In short it is European styled loco. If it runs well and can be easily bashed, it might be a very nice loco.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
It's a BR80 with a different top, not much else to say.
It's almost like they tried for an approximation of a dockside saddletank switcher, but not really bothering about actual scale, looks or anything usually bothered with in a model. And as has been said, it's a starter set loco. I don't think all the starter set locos from the other manufacturers are really models either? Aristos little critter, LGBs 2-4-0 "Stubby" American?

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Well, comparing the photographed docksider and the Piko one is apples to oranges, saturated Vs superheated, silde Vs. piston valve cylinders, etc. so it will be a bit more chunky.

Hagen, you hit the mark on two accounts, it is a starter set loco like the ones you listed (which both have followers) and how the built it.

Will the BR80 be sold Stateside by itself? I wonder how it will look next to my 1:22,5 LGB 99-6001? I always liked six coupled locos over four coupled for whatever reason tho.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Posted By Bucksco on 09/13/2008 8:37 AM
It is important to remember that it ias a "Starter set" loco.

Any final pricing yet for the sets and the individual locos and cars?

RRS shows the Piko sets at $350.- which seems rather high when compared to the Aristo and LGB Starter sets they list.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The MSRP is $417.99 which means dealers will be selling it somewhere around that $350 mark. Remember that these sets are currently in production which means higher track prices factor into the final cost.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I am with you Stan - not a bad looking starter set. I wish the price point was just under $300.00 but considering what the EURO, copper, oil, and transportation costs are - not bad. I wish the freight cars were more Woodside type though...

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Any idea what the loco alone will go for? Looks to me like a decent starting point for a kitbash or scratchbuilding project, if the price is right and the mech is decent.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Talking about pricing.................
Earlier it was mentioned that a street price of $350.- for the set is in the right ballpark.
Now I see the European set advertised at $100.- less than that - is that a loss leader?

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
At least this version has some representation of valve rods, unlike the twice as expensive USA version. and it will run on my R1 curves, thats an unknown with the USA Dockside

G

·
Posted By vsmith on 09/14/2008 12:25 PM
At least this version has some representation of valve rods, unlike the twice as expensive USA version. and it will run on my R1 curves, thats an unknown with the USA Dockside

yup no toy like molded in valve gear on the twice exspensive USA version but has sound and smoke and is made of diecast so should pull stumps out, far more than the plastic version i would think. but if you into kitbashing and have a small RR with tight curves and only will be pulling a couple of cars the piko version would probably be better for you.i have never owned a piko loco so i cant comment on them other than what ive red about them, there dockside is and entry level loco so it should be a good starter loco. but for me proven quality and reliability are #1 for me plus if you add in smoke and sound ,price of bolth should be about the same..i will probably buy one of the piko sets for my nephew for xmas mas they are a good value and i want to get him started early in g scale..:D:cool:
Nick..

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I'm really disappointed by the USAs drivetrain, the drive rods looks like an old Lionel locomotive, its just simple stamped metal, the connecting rods dont even have raised edges to show the I-beam design of the rods, there plain metal, and no valve rods whatsoever, it least the Piko has something that shows valve rods are supposed to be there. Granted the body of the USA is much better detailed but I really think they dropped the ball below that diecast body, I mean if Bachmann can produce working valve rods on a $150 Annie, and Aristo can do the same on their $150 0-4-0, I think Ro & company could have produced working valve rods on a locomotive thats almost 3x as expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
For a starter set, this looks like a pretty decent locomotive. I don't think that PIKO was using that WK&S 0-6-0T as a prototype. I saw the price point of the sets under $300. LGB sets are now advertised in that same range. But the LGB has that funky 2-4-0 that really didn't look like much but an engineer reusing Mikado tooling parts.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Folks;

I hope you don't consider this hijacking the thread, but it sure is good to know that Petulia (aka W,K&S #65) is still kicking. It has been just over 31 years since I ran the old girl, but I still remember that she was deceptively strong for her size. She could easily have walked away with every piece of rolling stock we had on the property. Not that there was that much, but none of the other engines there could have done it.

She was also a bit top heavy from her saddle tank, and tended to sway badly once she got over 20mph. (Not that THAT was a problem too often either.) Like many of our large scale models, her center drivers were blind, too. I don't know where that C&O boxcar came from. It must have been trucked in sometime during the last 31 years. W,K&S has no rail link to the outside world.

Those of us who ran for the W,K&S could run a steam locomotive just as well right-handed as left-handed. There were no provisions for turning the locomotives, so we always left Kempton backing. With Petulia that presented another problem. When her coal bunker was topped-up, enough coal dust came flying into my face when backing to choke me. The traditional red bandana was put to its traditional use on numerous occasions.

Petulia's firebox was more generous than Pauline's (#2), so she steamed more freely. I sure miss running those Porters. Thanks for the photo and thanks for the memories. Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Best Wishes,
David Meashey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy!

some of you guys can pooh-pooh all you want, but I think these sets look great and hopefully Silvergate will gets lots of orders from old "LGB" retailers and they will soon appear on shelves.

I think the cars in the US sets are a little small (i never thought much of 1/32 as a garden size) but the paint and quality look good...funny how 20 year MDC molds can bubble back to life in a new set!

The USA docksiders really have , dare I say it, a CUTE look to them. Chunky but industrious, and should really turn youngin's onto the hobby this Christmas.

I really would enjoy seeing upclose photos of the BR80, as that is especially nice to see with full valve gear. With a little toning down of the brightness of the rods, this should really be a welcome addition to all LGB DR fans.

Cheers,

Tom

21 - 40 of 42 Posts