G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few production photos of the new PIKO starter sets.
I'm working on some shots of the individual items as well. I will post them as soon as I receive them.

Personally I think they look very nice!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi,

What scale are those new PIKO models? The locos they released so far are more or less
in 1 : 27 scale.

Have Fun

Fritz / Juergen

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Posted By Fritz on 09/12/2008 3:04 PM
Hi,
What scale are those new PIKO models? The locos they released so far are more or less
in 1 : 27 scale.
Have Fun
Fritz / Juergen

Anyone have photos of the prototypes?

To me the engine and the car look like they are different scales.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cars are from ex-MDC tooling appx. 1/32.
The locos are scaled the same as PIKO's other G locos 1/27th-1/29th.
Now before we go down the "Oh my gosh it's not the proper scale" road let's put it into perspective. It is a starter set. It is directed toward the beginner not the "scale modeler". The Locos will fit in well with all of the existing 1/29th scale standard guage products out there.
When a starter set is developed the manufacturer needs to include cars that are relatively small to keep the price as well as the size of the set in line. I think PIKO made a good compromise by using smaller representations of full size cars instead of producing "compressed" versions of large cars like the old LGB "shorties"

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
The cars are pretty nice looking, the caboose is a bit stubby, but still quite nice looking. The engines, although they have American RR names, look much too much UNlike U.S. engines.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Yep, it appears to be a similar locomotive to the model and it may be running today on U.S. rail.

Before I posted my comment I did a search of the web and my personal books of steam locomotives and found many similar locos that were built by ALCO (American Locomotive Works), Lima and Baldwin, but they were all built for Poland, Czechoslovakia, Finland, Peru, Brazil and several other countries.

Yes, a few were run by U.S. companies and may have gotten there directly from one of the above Mfgs. but they still do NOT "look" like an American Locomotive to "me".

But I don't expect anything different from a European Manufacturer with European Designers. They "see" a different outline in their mind's eye when they design and it must fit their aesthetics. But to separate me from my cash, it has to fit MY aesthetics and these do not. I do like the boxcar and hopper cars, though.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
It will be intersting to see how they operate , and then see one all weathered up and dirty . Thanks for the pictures , especially the WK&S photo .

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Thank you--I like it a lot

Also I'm not sure what you mean by saying "too bad the model isn't closer." It looks quite close to me, but then I'm just newbie, The domes are square on the model a couple other things, the cylinders are dfferent--those of you who know more than me, what do you see as the glaring differences between the model and the prototype in the photo?

·
Registered
350 Posts
The big differences I see are first, the size ratio between the smoke box and the tank (smoke box is more diminuative on the WK&S), second the length from the back side of the cylindars to the very front of the loco is much shorter on the WK&S, and thirdly the bunker on the back of the model is blocky and too large. Smaller differences include the stack being taller and narrower on the proto (smoke box size has a bit to do with that,) the drivers are very close on the proto and then the domes look less like bottle caps. In addition the pilot scale is

All could probably be fixed with saws and styrene with the exception of the driver distances but the prototype - to me (important note, "to me" as in just my opinion) - the prototype is charming while the model is boxy. The WK&S looks like my great aunt's dockside.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts