G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the end of the year Phoenix will replace the 2k2 with pb9
It will be smaller in size but have more power. Same for the battery it will be smaller but have more power.
Price will also be reduced
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick it will work the same as the 2k2 it will work with DC DCC and RC
all the same features and more
Mike

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Mike,
Will the same computer interface software/hardware work with the new board as well?
Thanks,
JimC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim I talked to Phoenix today since I am a dealer and wanted to know all about it. They will be sending all info soon. It will still work the same as the 2k2 as far as all features. The addition is that it will hold more memory,3 watts of power, smaller size, smaller size battery with increased mah.
The price has not yet been confirmed but it should be MSRP of $245 So you see that all the info on it is smaller for less money and more for the bucks
Mike

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Phoenix has full page ad in latest (December) GR mag (p125).
For those that don't have the info....I will paraphrase from the ad. No price mentioned.

Dimensions are 2.48"L x 0.876"W x 0.5"H ... now that's small!

Other features are 16 bit museum Quality Digital Audio; 3W amplifier w/ line level output; 4 analog trigger inputs; smaller 3.6V NiMH battery; onboeard battery charging; reprogrammable

Expanded memory; twice the room for sounds and effects...adding the additional sounds requested.

Hope this may help info wise.

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I understand the PB9 will also have four trigger outlets for track magnets and/or battery R/C.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
That would be good. I am becoming more intrigued with sound and I use track power and would like to try it in one of my locos and see how it goes. Thie new PB9 sounds (pardon the pun) like it would be a good start for me.

Gary

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I like the sound of this I have about 30 of the 2.2Ks and love them

this will be even better cheaper and I hope sells very well now I believe Sierra is stopping.

Dave in England

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
See what happens when one is not paying attention? I ordered sound for my mallet last Friday, a 2K2 card. That's OK, I'll use it in the mallet until I can get a PB9 then put the 2K2 in one of the three other locomotives that needs sound (4-4-0, RS-3 or LGB mogul).

Street prices of these things are around that $200 range.

·
Super Modulator
21,236 Posts
Yep, but as a counterpoint, in the world of electronics, memory and cpu's are getting cheaper, so sometimes you should be getting more for your dollar as time goes by!

One of the few things in life that is actually getting cheaper.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Not in this case. Still over priced for a sound system. Maybe if they keep getting stiffer competition maybe they will bring the price down to a reasonable price. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I have one Phoenix card and 4 QSI cards. The Phoenix sounds are maybe a little better, and their quality control and customer service is great, but it's really pricey and I can't see how they can compete. With QSI I get excellent sound, and remote control of direction, speed, sound, and lights in one card. And it's under $140. I can't see why I'd pay sixty dollars more for a card that does much less. I was hoping Phoenix would price this new card to be competitive, but it doesn't look like they did. But maybe it has features I haven't seen yet

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
The QSI card is for either DCC or AirWire receiver, right? If this is the case, the Phoenix card for DCC is the P5. There is no need for this new card in that case.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts