G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The Welsh Highland Railway has been building a new observation car for the (soon to be ) newly lengthened line; this was built at the Boston Lodge workshops of the Ffestiniog Railway, which is now the only traditional carriage building works in the UK (all the rest build in the modern style - Boston Lodge still use wood) it was painted in a maroon color which was an undercoat. and it has now had its finishing paint applied.

The result is as the photos that can be seen in the following weblink http://www.roger-dimmick.fotopic.net/c1665613.html

The color is described as blackberry black, and I think it looks superb! It will be facing North when running - that is facing Caernarfon; The WHR has no turning facilties at the moment. The fare is I think going to be at First Class rates.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
That is one beautiful bit of coach work, I really like the color and the lining. Thanks for the link to the photographs Peter.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
That is some coach work. I've never been to the area. The back grounds in the various photo's are very interesting.

Thanks for posting.

Mike

·
Vendor
3,322 Posts
Peter, would you mind making reservations for me. That's a must ride...
:) :) :)

On second thought, let me check my account balance..... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
I was out there back in 1985, touring many of the Welsh narrow gauge lines. Our trip on the Ffestiniog was unfortunately very rushed due to our connecting train schedule, but it was quite the trip. I've got to dig out those slides at some point. That, and the Ravenglass & Eskdale are on my "must return to" list when we finally get back to Jolly Olde again. A trip in that car will most decidedly be on the "to do" list. That's a beautiful piece.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All, A bit more on the WHR

The railway from Porthmadog is now connected to Caernarfon, and stock has been (very slowly) run over it. Technically that means there is a continuous line of rails from Caernarfon to Blaneau Ffestiniog all at 2 ft gauge. THOUGH the Ffestioniog Railway clearances are much smaller than the Welsh Highland Railways. You Tube has some videos of the first train, and Roger Dimmick will have some more photos when he has had some sleep, and time to upload them.

Needless to say much is still needed re signals and level crossings - including the standard/narrow gauge crossing there are 3 in Porthmadog; so it is not yet for public use. The Garrrat + the new observation saloon ( though Isengard has a photo showing it on the Abergslayn Pass! SEE http://www.isengard.co.uk/#New , and also http://whr.bangor.ac.uk/2009/whrcl-transfer-120309-03.jpg ; it was there to check clearances which obviously have to be done in daylight) , will move over it possibly tomorrow during the night - I scurrilously call these 'night moves' the 'Porthmadog Ghost Trains'!

They will save a lot of cash that was being expended in moving stock (previously it had to be done by road trucks), by rail: the expected time for a Caernarfon - Porthmadog train & return is said to be 4 hours when the line is fully open. The cost (hopefully) will be £30 standard class.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts